Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Ian 619

How's your wheels and tyres looking?
    I gave mine a 'seeing to' over the week-end!

Hey Vince they look great, they certainly stand out more with the black added, How did you get the spoke's and rim so shiney?, i used alloy wheel cleaner on mine and they still look dullish, Tyres look great too!!
    My crag's are comeing on, i'm halfway through and should be able to laquer two of em tomorrow, they look like new, That coating is a real ba$tard to get off, i've worn my finger nails down past the skin under em and the prints off the tips of my fingers, they've got past the pain stage and are hardening up,
    I must be mad, i should take guitar lessons while there hard, Only way i've found to remove the coating is 360 wet/dry used dry and then go over with
    400 frecut and then a good autosol'ing, the bit round where the bolts go is very difficult trying not to f**k up the red, 360 get's it off without cutting into the alloy too much, To add to the madness i dropped humbrol clear colour (red) into the depression of each bolt (after cleaning em up) thought it will add to the "effect" I'll post some before and after pics (if ya can tell the difference in a picture), Is your spare OK? only i'll be getting rid of three
    of my standard wheels(keeping two as they got good tyres on) let me know
    Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I used the Nitromors when I first cleaned them, then very fine steel wool, (handy being a cabinet maker sometimes!) to remove all traces of old laquer, then autosol.
      This time I used a cotton buffing wheel and flexy shaft in an electric drill and polished the wheels with blue compound, them autoglym car body polish to keep the shine. For the tyres I just buffed them up with black shoe polish, the same way as you would polish your boots!
      The black painted parts I used Smoothrite black satin.
      My spare is a different alloy to the others, and has a brand new Dunlop A/T tyre on it and it's tucked away underneath so it can't be seen anyway so I'm not bothered about it being different.

p.s. did you notice my tinted rear lights with the black edging and the side repeaters?

Comment

p.s. did you notice my tinted rear lights with the black edging and the side repeaters?[/QUOTE]

No i did'nt, too busy looking at the wheels, They look good!! how'd ya do em?
        the black looks "fogged" ie not a clear/straight edge to it, did you use an airbrush for that? they look every bit as good as the clear or lexus replacements that i was thinking of getting, only the trouble Dave (Joker) had
        put me off, I often wondered! did you use those 10mm leds? think you were gonna put em behind some vents but could'nt figure what vents?
        Lookin good though my man,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 This my come in handy!! odered four 50mm stick on toyota emblems to put on the cheapo hubbies,
        Last edited by POPEYE; 25 July 2006, 09:21.

Comment

Hope you don't mind me nicking your thread for a minute Vince.
          Ian, your things were posted off this morning, so you should have
          them in a couple of days.

Comment

No worries mate.

Ian, I used glass paint that I got from Hobbycraft for the light tinting, And sprayed it on with my little £10 airbrush. I used a magenta colour as the truck has a kind of purple shade and the lights blend in well now with the body colour.
            If you're thinking of doing the same, (a different colour obviously!) make sure you get transparent glass paint, 'cos there are two types, the other type is opaque.

The black edge around the tailights was masked off to leave a hard edge. It jusy looks fuzzy in the pic.
            I didn't use those 10mm white LEDs on the truck 'cos they're not a white light, they've got a bit of blue tint to them so I used them as a small string of lights for the tent when camping as they hardly use any battery power.

Comment

Vince, nice job the wheels and tyres look great... sounds like its a lot of work but def worth it... i may now have a bash at my own

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Cheers Vince, got a cheap badger air brush (For the models) i suppose a smoke finish for the rear lights would best suit grey, might have a go at that, gonna have to look for a hobbycraft as the one near me shut down,
                Thinking about what you said re- useing autogylm and not laquer, i deceided not to laquer mine, that way i can give em a quick ploish when they need it,
                If i laquer em and it dose'nt take to well it'll peal and blow off with the pressere washer which i what happened to my serria wheels, Besides which the other alloy bits i made and polished on the truck have'nt discoloured much at all!

Cheers Matt!!! look forward to receiving em, appreceiate that, thanks
                Took a couple of pics today, dont know if the difference is that noticeable

Forgot to change the sodding camera over again,
                used plasti-cote matt radiator paint on the backs (after masking the manufactures sticker, in case i ever find em on google)
                Last edited by POPEYE; 25 July 2006, 18:38.

Comment

Excellent job there Ian, I is jealous now!
                  Talking of smoked lights, I tinted my front indicators tonight using black transparent glass paint, followed by clear coat on top to make 'em shiney. The look well smart against the metallic grey bumpers, I'll post pics on this thread tomorrow when fitted.

Comment

i'll have those wheels now ian ,lol sh#t you two boys are making me green with envy !!!! oh well at least im colour coded with my surf lol
                    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Wadaya think? They look much darker in the photo than they actually are.
                      Thinking about using my sidelights (next to the headlights) as indicators, and the tinted ones as side lights.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 August 2006, 00:35.

Comment

looking very smart matey
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

They blend in nicely mate, whatever i do with mine they'd show up as the bumper's chrome, suppose clear ones the answer for mine, If you use your sidelights as indicators will you have to fit amber bulbs (or led replacements)
                          not sure how the law works on indicators?, i know i once fell foul of em when i
                          made "sequencial rear indicators for my old anglia,(copying the mercury
                          cougar) out of two old non parking wiper motors and some 13amp plug bits,
                          copper realy wigged out! guess he was'nt a fan of the southern roadsters,
                          Anyway looking good Vince!! is that your bonnet scoop? have'nt seen it before,
                          Joker!! NO you cant ave em! i put so much work and pain into em i'm haveing
                          them buried with me when i go, and if the vicar says no then i aint going,
                          The ones i got on parts for sale dont grab ya then?

Comment

nah mate not enough bling lol
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                              They blend in nicely mate, whatever i do with mine they'd show up as the bumper's chrome, suppose clear ones the answer for mine, If you use your sidelights as indicators will you have to fit amber bulbs (or led replacements)
                              not sure how the law works on indicators?, i know i once fell foul of em when i
                              made "sequencial rear indicators for my old anglia,(copying the mercury
                              cougar) out of two old non parking wiper motors and some 13amp plug bits,
                              copper realy wigged out! guess he was'nt a fan of the southern roadsters,
                              Anyway looking good Vince!! is that your bonnet scoop? have'nt seen it before,
                              Joker!! NO you cant ave em! i put so much work and pain into em i'm haveing
                              them buried with me when i go, and if the vicar says no then i aint going,
                              The ones i got on parts for sale dont grab ya then?

Ian, I've swapped the wiring around now so that my sidelights are now the indicators and vice-versa!
                              I've coloured the bulbs amber, but they're not 'amber' enough, so I'm getting some of these.....
                              http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=330

Comment

Working...
                              X