So what do we reckon then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do we reckon then?

Went to go and have a look at a Jap V6 manual this morning and took it for a little drive

It's generally in very nice nick, but my poking about turned up a few things that concerned me and may be problems or just 'characteristics' that I don't know about - hence the post. There was a little bit of surface rust on the underside, but not really anything to get worked up about, these are the other things:

1. A few drips of water from the exhaust on start-up. I'm guessing that's just condensation rather than a head gasket - there's no gunk under the oil filler, no oil in the water and no water in the oil. It's done about 75,000 miles and, as far as I know, not been recalled but it's a 94 - is that after the problem on the gaskets?

2. There's a fair bit of tapping from the top of the engine. Not enough to hear from inside the car but enough for it to be the first thing you notice when you open the bonnet.

3. In the lower gears there's an awful lot of whine from the trasnmission. I used to hear the same on the site utes in Oz so I presume it's pretty normal on a manual hilux. Anyone know if that's the case?

4. Oil pressure seemed to be quite high. Well, higher than my 2.4, but not insane (about two thirds)- probably about due a filter change?

5. There's a weird clunking when the steering's on full lock. There is actually, but I think even I know what that is.

That's the lot. As I said, what do we reckon?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Sancho; 23 July 2006, 03:25.

1. sounds like nothing to worry about if there's no mixing of the fluids where there should not be. all petrol motors get this as far as i'm aware.

2. top end tapping on an old petrol motor (especially V6) doesn't sound uncommon - it's the bottom knocks you need to run from!

3. don't know about rest of 2nd gens or 3rd gens, but my 1st gen is silent on a manual gearbox.

4. no idea at all? i wouldn't worry if it's in the safe zone.

5. Grease time!!!

BTW i know jack about these motors so don't mistake my babble for anything useful!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Hi mate you should not hear the tappets all the one l have are as sweet as anything even the one l sold recently was nice and smooth and silent, that had a slight drip from the exhaust but had used no water in 12 months.
      Oil pressure is usually very good has been on my "V6",s.
      Gear box whine l have 3 manuals now and only one has a whine in 1st 2nd & 3rd the whine goes in 4th & 5th the other 2 no noise at all. depends on how cheap you can get it and then put it right.
      Live Life To The Full

Comment

Thanks guys. Also some vibration (kind of growling) over about 4,000 revs ( ) seemed to be coming from the exhaust..

You got any relatively cheap, totally straight V6s Bob? I now KNOW I want one....PM me.

Comment

94. Would that be a second or third?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            94 is a second aint it
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yeah, 2nd. Nice one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                Thanks guys. Also some vibration (kind of growling) over about 4,000 revs ( ) seemed to be coming from the exhaust..

You got any relatively cheap, totally straight V6s Bob? I now KNOW I want one....PM me.
                Hi l have told you what l have l am flexable on the price, how much was this other one you went to see.
                Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                  Yeah, 2nd. Nice one too.
                  Glad to see your sticking with the proper gen and not looking at a
                  poncy one.

Comment

poncy one.
                    What do you take me for?

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
                      Hi l have told you what l have l am flexable on the price, how much was this other one you went to see.
                      Substantially more than yours and without the LPG, but more what I was after (a lot more tarty...)

Just wanted to check you had nothing else that you hadn't mentioned.

Thanks.

Comment

poncy one.
                        hey you can hurt a guys feelings you know.......
                        the b****y dogs have been at it again

Comment

Originally posted by deegz
                          hey you can hurt a guys feelings you know.......

Comment

poncy one.
                            There is ONLY one proper generation surf and that is a
                            1st GEN

and in BLACK.
                            If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
                              There is ONLY one proper generation surf and that is a
                              1st GEN

and in BLACK.
                              That's so obvious it goes without saying. But us poor peasants only
                              generally have the option of two gens, 2nd and the poncy one.

Comment

Working...
                              X