moving house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving house

My god, I had no idea how much stuff we have!

Been packing up for hours this morning and only got half of the garage done.

Will be at this for a few weeks now, anyone got any survival tips?

Its murder.

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

I think I have more stuff in the garage and the lofts then I have in the house its self . When we move I think I will need one of those roll off containers to put it all in .
    Got to get a skip and have a clear out , trouble is every time I throw something out I get a call from a mate who now wants it a week later .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

al... you have my sympathys!! moved house 6 months ago, and just threw away all the boxes we had still to unpack in the spare room. the theory being we not needed it in 6 months, therefore sod it, its going in the bin!!

many bodies makes light work... bribe your mates with beer!!
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Also remember that even if your new house is twice as big as
        your existing one, you still won't be able to find enough space
        to fit everything. My sympathies mate, I don't envy you.

Comment

don't try to move it all yourself in a transit van!!

and don't sit looking through all you old stuff while you pack!

keep kettle, cups and bicuits till last

stack boxes in garage as you go, so it's quicker to load and you're not tripping over them

put all gerden stuff in one corner in advance, so you're not double checking you've got it all

make sure you've got tools at hand for dismantling furniture / taking off doors

get a recommended removal company and chesk their insurance... don't worry about them being in BAR or any removals federation / club, they're just a rip off!... just make sure they have goods in transit insurance public liability etc... too many man and van cowboys and big companies that look the part but will rip you off!

where are you moving from/to?
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man

stack boxes in garage as you go, so it's quicker to load and you're not tripping over them

put all gerden stuff in one corner in advance, so you're not double checking you've got it all

get a recommended removal company and chesk their insurance... don't worry about them being in BAR or any removals federation / club, they're just a rip off!... just make sure they have goods in transit insurance public liability etc... too many man and van cowboys and big companies that look the part but will rip you off!

Thanx all good advice.

We have a company doing it with a 17 tonner. moving from a 2 bed semi in Ilkley to a 4 bed detached in Spofforth near weatherby so I can be close to motorway A1 for my work and away from the traffic in Ilkley A65. Move sometime in August.

Just spent from 10.00 to 12.30 emptying the loft, jesus there was stuff up there I had forgotten about 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!

I was up there with a rope dropping stuff down to the missis and it still took 2 and a half hours Its $$$$$$ hot up there as well.

Not looking forward to the rest of this at all.

Thanx for suggestions y'all.

Al.
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man

good advice !!!!!! being a removal man myself get your boxes from the same place (stack better) mark all your boxes for which room to go in ie stick labels on new doors (post it notes will do )either by colour or number , inform all your utility comps , do not over pack boxes ie big boxes with cd's ,mags or books , then chillout till the movers have finished
              ps buy bubble wrap for pics, mirrors @ fragiles
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Take all of Jokers advice its all good. Ive moved house a lot. ( Ive been in 5 since 2000) . Make sure you get the cardboard boxes from the movers, either hire buy or borrow them. Dont use rubbishy boxes bummed from shops/supermarkets etc. Be Ruthless, and force the rest of your mob to be ruthless. I know that you save stuff in sheds and garages and lofts for years and I also know that a week after you skip it you will find a need for it, but its not worth paying to move junk around the country and dont worry about the lack of junk in your life. You will very quickly replace it.
                Take the kettle, tea, coffee and stuff like that in the car with you, youll need it on arrival.
                As already said a basic set of tools kept handy for putting up beds and stuff, fooling around with curtain rails and things.

Good Luck

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                  good advice !!!!!! being a removal man myself get your boxes from the same place (stack better) mark all your boxes for which room to go in ie stick labels on new doors (post it notes will do )either by colour or number , inform all your utility comps , do not over pack boxes ie big boxes with cd's ,mags or books , then chillout till the movers have finished
                  ps buy bubble wrap for pics, mirrors @ fragiles
                  hehehe!!... did it for 6 years!!

most famous customer was maggie philbin!!... hehehe!!... there's only so much variation in it so changed jobs and miss it!!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I bought a couple of 20 foot containers when I moved into a caravan to build my house. They are worth more than I paid for them 2 years ago. If you have space they make great workshops!
                    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

bin everything and become a hari krishna.... no belongings.... no problems...
                      the b****y dogs have been at it again

Comment

Working...
                      X