• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance query

Yet another one. Was thinking of giving A.F a ring, as the Surf's insurance
    runs out in about three weeks, but just wanted to do a quick brainpick on a
    couple of points first.

Firstly, would the sway bars, (or lack of), need to be disclosed when they ask
    about modifications? I think I'm safe with all my other experiments being
    classed as general repairs or upgrades to original equipment.

Secondly, for the 91/92'ish 2.4 owners out there, what is a reasonable amount
    to list as the value, bearing in mind that most of the alterations and repairs are
    just enhancements of what was already there. No winch or beasty bumpers,
    (yet ). The rest of my mods I'll not list again as I'm sure you'll all disappear
    offline quickly at the mere mention.

Cheers.

Originally posted by MattF
    Secondly, for the 91/92'ish 2.4 owners out there, what is a reasonable amount
    to list as the value
    I have mine down as £3k value and that's what Lifesure told me sounded about right when I got the cover.

If anyone wants to buy it off me for three grand, by all means offer away.....
    Last edited by Sancho; 21 July 2006, 18:30.

Comment

I just bought my '92 2.4 for £2200 - only 1 month tax, but 6 mot - then did 350 quid of service on it. Its pretty good condition. i've insured it at 2.5k

i think mods relate to upped BHP and that kinda thing, like for boy racerz.
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Cheers for that chaps. Time to give 'em a ring and depress myself.

BTW, dropped the beast off at Toyota dealers this morning for the
        steering rod replacing.

Comment

So did Pentagon give you a nice new Landcruiser or did you have to suffer the Yaris, Just been to the Chestnut tree for dinner didn't see your truck so they must be fixing it.Hope they do a good job !
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
            I just bought my '92 2.4 for £2200 - only 1 month tax, but 6 mot - then did 350 quid of service on it. Its pretty good condition. i've insured it at 2.5k

i think mods relate to upped BHP and that kinda thing, like for boy racerz.

plus anything that has been added to the vehicle to make it more desirable to thieves, e.g. shiney alloys!

Comment

Be careful with mods, some insurance companies include any alteration from when it left the factory as a mod, and if not informed guess what happens come claim time.
              I had one company about 6 years back that even counted the towbar on the sierra as a mod because it didn't have one when it left the factory.
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

When i told my insurance company for my 2.4 2nd gen, i felt optimistic that day and said 5K. Still come back fully comp for £360/year.
                Plus any mods are ok with them as long as it not upgrading the engine.
                Jim
                i like it muddy!

Comment

I've just had a quote from norwich union at £261 fully comp protected no claims, so i think they (Quoted me happy!!!)
                  If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

mine isn't modified... just cos it has a diferent brand of shocks & springs... uprated body mounts and replacement alloys.
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

mind you, some companies questind like : " does the vehicle have andy modifications, such as, alloy wheels, larger speakers etc."

so even the stereo change could invalidate the theft on the policy
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        plus anything that has been added to the vehicle to make it more desirable to thieves, e.g. shiney alloys!
                        Mine would probably scare the cr*p out of them, rather than make it
                        more desirable. Roaring viscous fan, no sway bars, lots of switches.
                        (Sorry, drooling again).

Comment

Sounds ike the insurance companies do their usual then. One has
                          to guess and hope 'cos they all change the goalposts. I really hate
                          insurance. Phoned Adrian Flux yesterday. Quote was only about
                          £40'ish cheaper than I payed last year. I'm still getting quoted £400+.
                          That's for fully comp, protected no claims, (full NCB), class 1 business
                          use. Wife as secondary driver, (not that she ever does). Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by John h
                            So did Pentagon give you a nice new Landcruiser or did you have to suffer the Yaris, Just been to the Chestnut tree for dinner didn't see your truck so they must be fixing it.Hope they do a good job !
                            They phoned not long after I read your post to say it was done. Couldn't
                            respond before I went out as the forum was offline again. Never asked
                            about a loan car. No offense to anyone, but I hate driving in cars. I've spent
                            so many years driving vehicles with a higher driving position that cars scare
                            me. Our lass followed me through in the Venture, (she says the articulation
                            on the Surf looks impressive from the rear ). Well, she actually said that
                            that it looked unnatural with the tyres planted firmly on the ground and the
                            body moving during my gentle consideration of some curves and corners.
                            No bubbly, no diesel, no loan car but a quick clean and a vehicle check.
                            Bothered? Nope. Rods done, I'm happy. Had a quick peek underneath when
                            I got back in yesterday, and it all seems extremely well fitted. Apart from
                            all the new castle nuts and rod, you'd never know anyone had been under
                            there.

Comment

Working...
                            X