Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending roof bars

HI

I am looking at ways to increase the distance between roof bars on the surf beyond the width of the doors. I have found this, see attached picture, it is designed for cars with only two doors but I am thinking that with long connecting bars ths may do the job of placing the rear cross bar over the boot of the surf and making use of the long roof space we have. Has anybody tried this with long connecting bars and if so does it bounce at all or is it pretty stirdy ?

interesting!

In answer to your question....

But i have just been looking all over for something like this....where did you find it? And where can i get it?

Cheers Speedy
    Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish
      In answer to your question....

But i have just been looking all over for something like this....where did you find it? And where can i get it?

Cheers Speedy
      You can get these from a Thule distributor. They are pretty easy to get hold of although I still went for the fixed roof rails on mine with standard Halfords bars.

When I get the headlining out of mine I'm going to plate under them and extend them right to the front. Although as standard they fit from the top, I really need acees to the underneath because of the Sunroof and having to be very carefull where they are attached.

I have to take the headlining down to replace the Sunroof assembly anyway as the existing one cracked in the summer. Got a replacement of Bob Hilux.

Hope that this picture shows my bars well enough.

Cheers
      Attached Files

Comment

SORRY.nowt to do with thread but WHY WE GONE WIDE SCREEN?
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

Rails

Sent pm...not sure if it worked??

Andy (lucky) where can i get roof rails? and do i have to drill holes in the roof to fit them?

Speedy
          Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

This is where I found the roof bar extensions http://www.roofracks.co.uk/ but you can get them in halfords. I am however interested in the roof rails if they can be fitted to my Surf, does anyone have any info on this ?

Cheers

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BI1
              This is where I found the roof bar extensions http://www.roofracks.co.uk/ but you can get them in halfords. I am however interested in the roof rails if they can be fitted to my Surf, does anyone have any info on this ?

Cheers

Brian
              Brian.

Yes you can get them from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com (bar type like mine) or you can get the flat channel type from the US here http://www.autoanything.com/roofracks/ the shipping is around $75 from the US for these types.

You will need to drill the roof - if you have a sunroof you will need to be carefull of the tracks for that. They fit from above using capture nuts that you fit into the holes and tighten with a tool or a bolt with a couple of nuts fitted to it (instructions are enclosed in the kit).

If you haven't got a sunroof then they are easy to fit and you could fit them full length (the ones from 4x4 Accessories and tyres are available in various lengths, think the longest is 1.5m).

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X