I have just bought a 1994 3.0TD Surf SSR-G. Am I sane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just bought a 1994 3.0TD Surf SSR-G. Am I sane

Hi there, just Surfed in (pardon the pun) Having had a Land Rover Discovery for 10 years I decided on a change. While out on a drive I called in to a garage that imports 4X4's and ended up doing an exchange and some cash for my beloved Disco. Should I be worried? Please convince me that I am doing the Right thing as just the hassle I am having with getting insurance is making me twitchie, What will I do if it breaks and I need spares. Will I ever sleep soundly at night again?
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

You won't regret it!

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
      Hi there, just Surfed in (pardon the pun) Having had a Land Rover Discovery for 10 years I decided on a change. While out on a drive I called in to a garage that imports 4X4's and ended up doing an exchange and some cash for my beloved Disco. Should I be worried? Please convince me that I am doing the Right thing as just the hassle I am having with getting insurance is making me twitchie, What will I do if it breaks and I need spares. Will I ever sleep soundly at night again?
      WELCOME M8.
      YOU HAVE MADE A GOOD CHOICE.
      i am fairly new to the surf [6months or so now] and dont regret it one bit.
      if it does brake down [dont think negative] you will find the bits you may
      need with all the advise you can get from the forum.
      so with that in mind .
      happy surfing
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum.
        Most spares can be obtained through a Toyota dealers or Milners the spares are not as scarce as you might think. Most of the running gear is based on the Hilux pick up and a few parts for the 4 runner are compatible for the surf.
        Need anything or got a problem ask on here.
        As for insurance look here for companies to try
        http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=1015
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

So after driving a Disco for 10 years what are your first (Honest) impressions.
          WD40 "He who Thinks Australian"

Comment

Chill out - you'll get parts (if you need them)
            At least these are a damm sight more reliable than L/R
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

Should I be worried? only when cornering in a disco, next door neighbour rolled theirs
              [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
              [size=5][/size]
              [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

no worries

i have had my 2.4td ssr-g for 3 weeks now and haven't looked back....
                u just can't beat em..... any problems and the guys here have more knowledge than a knowledge bank!
                good move in my opinion...
                2 Tone Mud Master!
                http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

Wow, I never expected such a quick responce, and thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement. I dont actually pick the Surf up until Saturday. It is comforting to know one is not alone. Great site and I will post my thoughts after I have played with it a few weeks. One observation from reading the posts is that I should not drive on normal roads with 4 wheel drive engaged. Is that right, what about when the roads are wet or slippy? How well do they tow a caravan and any tips please.
                  Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Hi and welcome yes you are insane, well as insane as the rest of us
                    And yes 4 wheel drive is just for the slippery stuff unless your rich enough to afford a 3rd gen
                    You won't regret getting rid of the Disco, I certainly wont miss mine, after a few hours driving the Surf you will realise how crappy the disco was. Incidentally you know why they were called 'Discovery' its because every day you 'discover' another oil leak or such like .
                    John
                    [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
                    [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Welcome aboard Malenibo,

We've only had our's a week and love it. No complaints other than the stereo is not compatible over here, so we are looking to replace it with a UK/European spec' one as soon as we can.

The guys on 'ere are great - mad, YES!!! but very sane when it comes to Surf knowledge.

Good luck for Saturday.

Cheers

Gary
                      1996 SSR-G 3.0TD
                      1995 SSR-X 3.0TD Ltd

Comment

You wont regret it - the Surf is a superb car... I've never had any problems getting parts for mine, more and more people are doing them. I've towed a fair bit with mine and it's a dream... the hardest thing is remembering the trailer is on the back and not going too fast

Post us some pics when you get the car, and make sure you come along and get it dirty with the rest of us at some point....
                        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

HELLO & WELCOME my 2.4 pulls my 21ft bailey ranger a treat you know its there but it tows with no trouble at all enjoy it mate
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            HELLO & WELCOME my 2.4 pulls my 21ft bailey ranger a treat you know its there but it tows with no trouble at all enjoy it mate
                            did do marky!!!
                            somebody just sold it.
                            TOLD YOU NOT TO PARK IT THERE
                            Enjoying Life after Cancer
                            Pops

Comment

it was sold to me mate
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...