cruise control on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruise control on ebay

Hi guys just found this, I wonder how good it is, I have seen a few posts on the forum about this sort of thing but they have always been really expensive.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAECO-ms-50-au...QQcmdZViewItem

Bought one and fitted it to my gen 3 took about 1 Hour it goes straight onto the speed pulse wire behind speedo and you have to cut the black loop wire on the unit to make it read correctly, works very well keeps speed to within 1 to 2 mph of selected speed.
    I have just come back from France where it had a good test towing my caravan about 1500 miles works as well as most factory fit units.

Regards Steve
    ionic SURFactant

Comment

That sounds great I will keep an eye on them then and add it to the list of future mods!
      Cheers

Comment

Hi Steve,

I have just bought an Waeco MS 50 cruise control for my 97 SSR-G, can you remember what colour and position of the wire you connected at the speedo head for the speed signal to the control unit?

Regards

Gus

Comment

Hi mac3, is this the one you have?
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waeco-MS-50-ma...d=p3286.c0.m14

If it is then will it work on an auto?
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac3 View Post
            Hi Steve,

I have just bought an Waeco MS 50 cruise control for my 97 SSR-G, can you remember what colour and position of the wire you connected at the speedo head for the speed signal to the control unit?

Regards

Gus
            It will depend on what year and model surf you have up to 98 just follow the track from the screw on the back of the speedo marked SEN or S and join it to the wire it leads to if you have a 98 on model locate the brown plug 2nd wire from the right white/blue and join it to that same wire 2001 on model.
            If its a SSR/V then its the blue 12 pin plug 1st left red/black or grey/blue.
            Don't forget to cut the black loop wire on the cruise unit.
            ionic SURFactant

Comment

Steve,
              Many thanks for the info. I had a look at the back of the speedo and it has the brown plug with the white and blue wire which has been cut and connected to the KM to MPH converter which is then connected to the screws on the speedo. I will bridge into the same white and blue wire and give it a try. Any idea why there is three wires from the converter to the speedo?

Regards

Gus

Comment

Steve,
                Many thanks for the info. I had a look at the back of the speedo and it has the brown plug with the white and blue wire which has been cut and connected to the KM to MPH converter which is then connected to the screws on the speedo. I will bridge into the same white and blue wire and give it a try. Any idea why there is three wires from the converter to the speedo?

Regards

Gus
                Depending on the make of the converter chip there will be either 4 or 5 wires the better ones have 5. 1 will be a earth, 1 a ignition fed live, 1 kmh signal in and one mph signal out the 5 the wire on the better units is a output to the ecu so it continues to work in kmh not needed on the earlier Surfs.
                The cruise control will ned to be connected before the converter chip ie loom side.

Regards
                Steve
                ionic SURFactant

Comment

Thanks Steve, I don't suppose you have any photo's of the fixing of the vacuum unit and throttle connection?

Regards

Gus

Comment

Thanks Steve, I don't suppose you have any photo's of the fixing of the vacuum unit and throttle connection?

Regards

Gus
                    Sorry no I no longer have that particular Surf after it got cuddly with a tree but the vac connection tee'd into the main brake servo pipe and the throttle connection was the same as the instructions with the unit.
                    ionic SURFactant

Comment

Steve,

You mentioned: Don't forget to cut the black loop wire on the cruise unit.[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason for cutting the black loop wire on the cruise unit as it is not mentioned in the instruction manual?

Gus

Comment

The speed signal wire on the vehicle can carry the speedo transducer signal at a number of frequencies depending on vehicle make and type on my surf KZN185 it was quite high if the wire was left uncut the cruise control would not work above 45 mph cutting the wire halves the read rate allowing it to work at sensible speeds, try it first with out cutting it by all means if it doesn't work correctly try it with it cut.
                        ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                          Hi mac3, is this the one you have?
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waeco-MS-50-ma...d=p3286.c0.m14

If it is then will it work on an auto?
                          I have a magic speed cruise control on my 2nd get 3.0 ltr auto, it works ok, the only problem I found is if you start to lose speed on a hill after about 30 secs the controller opens the throttle...... fully and you get a bucketfull of RPM
                          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650 View Post
                            I have a magic speed cruise control on my 2nd get 3.0 ltr auto, it works ok, the only problem I found is if you start to lose speed on a hill after about 30 secs the controller opens the throttle...... fully and you get a bucketfull of RPM
                            Cheeres for that mate, think i might invest in one seeing as most of my driving is motorway.

Does it only do it on steep hills or is it any type hill?
                            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Hi Steve,

I fitted the unit at the weekend which was fairly straight forward. You were right i had to cut the black loop wire on the control unit for the system to work correctly.

Many thanks for all the help and technical advise, it was very much appreciated.

Regards

Gus

si tate/coolsv650

I bought the unit from www.conrad-uk.com for £117.95 delivered. I have tried it over the weekend and found no problems going up hills as yet. There is an adjustment on the control unit if you find the system loses speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X