Split rim update!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split rim update!!

You might want to read this if like me your thinking of removeing the center's of your split rims to "do" em up, Dont know if all split rims are like this but mine are actually three peice, I did ask on the last post if i should let the air out first but was advised i should'nt have to however i dont trust anything with compressed air in it so i did let some air out, Managed to loosen all the bolts and was a third of the way round removeing em and there was a sudden rush of air, i nearly $hit myself, the rim is in two parts and is bolted either side of the center so im no nearer removeing it, i would have to get the tyres taken off first and cant be arsed plus the cost, in theory i suppose you could remove the tyres one the rim is split by levering em apart but im scared of buggering up the mateing faces ie rim to rim and rim to tyre, Suppose i'll just have to be very carefull with the paint stripper, it'll be a bit easier with the bolts removed though,
    Anyway for christs sake let the air out first in case it goes off in your face
    Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

i remember seeing photos on some sick site like rotten.com of a guy who had some kind of truck and put an electic pump on one of the tyres, phone rings, he buggars off to answer it and leaves the tyre being pumped, comes back and gets close enough to the over inflated tyre that when it goes bang it spreads him accross the ceiling of his garage...very gruseome, and me being wired wrong, quite funny too!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Poor sod!!, I've heard of guys being killed by heavy goods veh wheels going off when tyres were being changed,
      Worst of it was i had the wheel up on the bench and was reaching round both sides with me ear right up against it when it went off, Bl00dy good job i aint got a week heart or i'd be wearing these

Comment

things like that do make the ticker do overtime don't they!

when i done bodylift, while putting the passenger side rear spacer in, the bit of wood i had on top of the jack slipped and everything crashed down to earth.

luckily, i had the spacer still in my hand and was well clear of getting my hand trapped.

my heart missed a beat but my dad who was helping looked like he'd seen a ghost, that wasn't funny because he really did look ill! then he kicked me while i was lying on the ground coz i started laughing!

Comment

Adrenalin is brown as you may have now found out
          BTW can you post some pics of the rims split as have the same set on my MT'sand intrested how they look
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Right a couple of pics, the red ones are mine, i've been trying to find the manufacturer and all i could find by googleing it in was a yhaoo jap auction site where there was a set of the gold ones going for about 40.000 yen (and they dont ship internationally) i was looking for some hubbies for em!, Guy on the aus site reccons the shipping problem could be over come though by going through an austrailian agent ie one of their members, They have crag
            country raceing gear on the centers,
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
              things like that do make the ticker do overtime don't they!

when i done bodylift, while putting the passenger side rear spacer in, the bit of wood i had on top of the jack slipped and everything crashed down to earth.

luckily, i had the spacer still in my hand and was well clear of getting my hand trapped.

my heart missed a beat but my dad who was helping looked like he'd seen a ghost, that wasn't funny because he really did look ill! then he kicked me while i was lying on the ground coz i started laughing!
              Yeah!! i've come close a couple of times, my buick dropped while i was removeing the rear springs, luckely i only had my hands under the wheelarch and it missed me, also had a chrysler roll off a big screw jack while i was under it but managed to roll out pretty bl00dy quick, I was in the buick owners club and a guy in canada was crushed when his riv fell on him,
              Woodies right it's brown!!!

Comment

I got mine off ebay they came from japan on a surf but what they are is a mystery ...
                Attached Files
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                  I got mine off ebay they came from japan on a surf but what they are is a mystery ...
                  no mystery, they're wheels.

to be more precise they're round wheels.

mystery solved!

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                    You might want to read this if like me your thinking of removeing the center's of your split rims to "do" em up, Dont know if all split rims are like this but mine are actually three peice, I did ask on the last post if i should let the air out first but was advised i should'nt have to however i dont trust anything with compressed air in it so i did let some air out, Managed to loosen all the bolts and was a third of the way round removeing em and there was a sudden rush of air, i nearly $hit myself, the rim is in two parts and is bolted either side of the center so im no nearer removeing it, i would have to get the tyres taken off first and cant be arsed plus the cost, in theory i suppose you could remove the tyres one the rim is split by levering em apart but im scared of buggering up the mateing faces ie rim to rim and rim to tyre, Suppose i'll just have to be very carefull with the paint stripper, it'll be a bit easier with the bolts removed though,
                    Anyway for christs sake let the air out first in case it goes off in your face
                    Ian

Christ Ian, sorry for the grief, it's just that every set of split rims I've messed with in the past, had a centre that could be removed leaving the tyre still attatched to the rim inflated. Maybe 4x4 split rims are constructed differently to road wheels.

I will now hang my head in shame and just read and not post as a punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                      no mystery, they're wheels.

to be more precise they're round wheels.

mystery solved!
                      IDOIT ....THE info about the type of alloy and the maker is the mystery

Still a product of 1979would be so flippant
                      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

i was helping a mate do up a gpz750 a few years back. the bike was without forks and both wheels were out. it was on its centre stand on a 9" block of wood, and tied up to a beam in the shed to keep it balanced.... (you know where this is going allready...)
                        anyway i decided now would be a good time to take the exhaust off it. while i was underneath it, my mate accidently nudged it, pushing it of the centre stand and both the ropes broke.(ok ok, it was baler twine, but it was only supposed to be for balance..) anyway, i 'caught' it. and held it for what seemed a very long time. mate tried to explain how hard it was to put it back on the stand but i wasnt very receptive at that time..
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                          IDOIT ....THE info about the type of alloy and the maker is the mystery

Still a product of 1979would be so flippant
                          i'm sure you mean IDIOT! you IDIOT!

Comment

Dont worry Vince, There seem to be so many different types of wheel and i suspect many are able to have the centers removed without deflateing,
                            Anyway its my own fault, if i'd have looked at it properly i'd have seen the arrangement, also the seller stated they were three peice, Just thought he did'nt know what he was talking about, Anyway no harm done apart from my
                            underpants,
                            Woodzie, dont know if this link will work-http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.shuei.co.jp/shopping/exterior/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Daiba%2Bworks%26hl %3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG
                            If you scroll down to the bottom and click wheels, there are loads of em and i found the names (manufacture) of many rims i've seen Ian
                            http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
                            AhAh it worked the second time
                            Last edited by POPEYE; 16 July 2006, 19:57.

Comment

Wow lots and lots of shiney alloys
                              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                              X