Oil leak or over full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak or over full

Hi just checked the oil in the beast and both engine and auto box are an ince over the full mark, the beast has been stood for two days without being turned over, noticed some black soot in the inside of the exsorst pipe,and oil runs down the engine block when she is driven came back from norwich two weeks ago where I got her from and had no probs took some pics not sure where its coming from HELP I dont know wheather to drive her or not. If I drain and refill what is the best oil to use and should I use redex or not.
    Ps someone said to take the elbow off the air intake and turn it the other way is that the elbow in the pic.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pkh; 15 July 2006, 15:02. Reason: forgot air intake
    Stop it that tickles

I'm not an expert, but its not a good idea to drive her if the oil levels are above the max mark on the dipsticks..I would drain a bit out on both to take her to the safe zone... Perhaps the seller overfilled her as he preped her for a sale...
    Redex..I bought my surf recently and I'm using it to clean out the fuel system...
    oil.. bit of a discussion on here recently... i use halfords own budget semi synth and will change oil 5000-6000 km incl filter.. also on mine the filter is mounted high up on the engine not sure about yours.. The more expensive oil filter has a non return valve trapping oil when you switch the engine off, I think its worth getting that one from Roughtrax..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by pkh
      Hi just checked the oil in the beast and both engine and auto box are an ince over the full mark, the beast has been stood for two days without being turned over, noticed some black soot in the inside of the exsorst pipe,and oil runs down the engine block when she is driven came back from norwich two weeks ago where I got her from and had no probs took some pics not sure where its coming from HELP I dont know wheather to drive her or not. If I drain and refill what is the best oil to use and should I use redex or not.
      Ps someone said to take the elbow off the air intake and turn it the other way is that the elbow in the pic.
      Dont forget to check the auto box fluid with the engine running.
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

running

On the dipstick for the auto it has cold and hot markings the level is an inch above the hot level but I checked it when it was cold, anyone know how much new oil to put in a EFI 2.4 diesel I'll drain it and flu$$$$ out tommorow.
        Stop it that tickles

Comment

Originally posted by pkh
          On the dipstick for the auto it has cold and hot markings the level is an inch above the hot level but I checked it when it was cold, anyone know how much new oil to put in a EFI 2.4 diesel I'll drain it and flu$$$$ out tommorow.
          if the engine was ticking over when you took this reading it sounds too full
          if the engine was not running it sounds as though it will be about right. Are the gears etc changing OK? if so why change anything unless of course the fluid looks cooked or old
          Yes you need to drain some off, however you also need to check the level in the correct manner.

Start the engine with it in park allow it to warm up for 5 minutes or so, move the gear stick through all the gears one by one and back to park.

Check the level with the engine running and the box in park.
          Last edited by Taliesins; 15 July 2006, 18:09.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Never overfill. Too much oil in the sump can break a crank shaft. No kidding. Oil around the filter may be from the oil cooler housing pressure relief valves or oil filter itself. The plugs for the valves may be a bit loose or require new seals which are a metal washer type. Oil around manifold may be from intake gasket or just from blowby and oil leaking from intake hoses.Take them off and clean them out. Check for cracks or loose clamps. Oil on bellhousing could be blown back from oil cooler housing or leaky sump gasket or rear main engine seal. Check the auto trans fluid as stated in previous posts. Overfilling can cause seals to fail.

Nev

Comment

Working...
            X