3rd Gen Surf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Surf.

A bit of a cheeky question, but does anyone live near Sittingbourne, as i am going to view and hopefully buy a 1996 Surf and would be grateful if perhaps someone a bit more mechanically minded as i would come with. Seeing car at app 6-15 this evening in Kenslay. Definately a pint in it.

If you don't ask you don't know.
    Thanks Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Originally posted by Philip
    A bit of a cheeky question, but does anyone live near Sittingbourne, as i am going to view and hopefully buy a 1996 Surf and would be grateful if perhaps someone a bit more mechanically minded as i would come with. Seeing car at app 6-15 this evening in Kenslay. Definately a pint in it.

If you don't ask you don't know.
    Thanks Philip

In case there are no takers, make sure the green lights flash for a second or so when you select 4x4 and that the gear lever does what its supposed to nice and smoothly.

Drive it and listen for rattles and knocks. there should be none. Mine drives like a brand new car does with an amazing smooth ride that suggests the build quality is superb.

Has it got a new cambelt on it? if not make sure they fit one if a dealer if not negotiate a new one and a full service into the price. Has it got a speedo conversion? if not again, factor this into your price.

Other than that, common sense should prevail. If its nice and clean, not battered about, clean underneath and clean in the engine bay and looks generally right then it probably is alright.

Check electric twig, check air con, check rear window and all electrics, remember tyres cost about 100 a corner when talking money and again be ready to knock them down for worn rubber.

Mine was 6 grand for a 96 with 68,000 miles on it and I still can't believe what a top notch motor it is for the money.

Best of luck

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

New Car

Bought the car £5000. It has 101,000 klms with new 4ins stainless steel exhaust, plus new tyres on double rimmed wheel. Has been chipped and on excelleration sounds like Aston Martin. Cat 1 alarm Inside like new, as is outside. K&N filter. Underslung wheel, which i wanted and no need to open back window as whole back opens up.
      The car is a 4Runner, but still has the small wing mirror like imports.
      If someone tells me how to put up pictures, will take some in the morning, assuming i get to sleep tonight. The guy paid £8000 a year ago.
      Do i now look for the 4Runner Forum or can i still stay on here???
      Anybody know when Tony is back?
      Regards to all
      Philip
      Still Searching,
      Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
        Bought the car £5000. It has 101,000 klms with new 4ins stainless steel exhaust, plus new tyres on double rimmed wheel. Has been chipped and on excelleration sounds like Aston Martin. Cat 1 alarm Inside like new, as is outside. K&N filter. Underslung wheel, which i wanted and no need to open back window as whole back opens up.
        The car is a 4Runner, but still has the small wing mirror like imports.
        If someone tells me how to put up pictures, will take some in the morning, assuming i get to sleep tonight. The guy paid £8000 a year ago.
        Do i now look for the 4Runner Forum or can i still stay on here???
        Anybody know when Tony is back?
        Regards to all
        Philip
        Well done. Glad to hear the silly grin factors there. 4 Runner/Surf,
        same thing. Who needs a forum change. Well done, mate.

Comment

congrats on your new motor , you know you wont find another site as good as this
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Sounds wonderful !

Just a couple of questions .......

Is it intercooled ?

Where did the chip come from ?

Best open the windows - that grin sounds HUGE !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I think chip was done in Japan and its not intercooled, but has rather large exhaust. Its a 4x4 which thinks its a racing car. Hopefully Tony will be able to see what kind of chip it is, that is if its something you can see.
              Rgds Philip

Pictures by accident in the Parts wanted section.
              Still Searching,
              Dick Whittington

Comment

Working...
              X