Gettin hot and bothered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
    I have been thinking along a similar line... Not removing the bonnet, but how about raising the rear edge to create a gap along the rear edge?

Old Beetles sometimes have a 'stand off' engine cover to aid cooling.. Could it work?
    Shouldn't be too difficult. Just some spacers to raise the bonnet off the hinge brackets.. Not sure what would happen when it rains, though..

Any thoughts??

Probably the single best idea ever to aid cooling and it does not have to wreck the bonnet. Go on man. give it a try
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

what about a couple of heat-sensitive jacks to open the back of the bonnet when the temp rises? a bit like those you get on green houses. ok, i guess its a bit off-the-wall, but its an idea. or just switch operated from the cab?
      go on, someone give it a go!
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
        I have been thinking along a similar line... Not removing the bonnet, but how about raising the rear edge to create a gap along the rear edge?

Old Beetles sometimes have a 'stand off' engine cover to aid cooling.. Could it work?
        Shouldn't be too difficult. Just some spacers to raise the bonnet off the hinge brackets.. Not sure what would happen when it rains, though..

Any thoughts??

We, (the performance Mini fraternity) have been doing just that for years, especially the turbo nutters!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 14 July 2006, 11:12.

Comment

Are those sectional metal pipes home made customs?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            Are those sectional metal pipes home made customs?

Yep. It's aluminium tube, sections welded then polished.

S'not my car though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Yep. It's aluminium tube, sections welded then polished.

S'not my car though.
              Aluminium as well. This is one of those times I wish I could weld.
              Tig for aluminium, is it not? Any pics of yours, Vince?

Comment

Aluminium as well. This is one of those times I wish I could weld.
                Tig for aluminium, is it not? Any pics of yours, Vince?

To do a tidy job, yep T.I.G. welding.
                The only pics I have of my old 'Tarmac terror' Mini are in a box at my parents house in Reading.
                I've got this one of my latest Mini, 1.3 injection, which has been in 'suspended animation' under a dust sheet in the garage since 2003!!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

That looks pristine. Very nice.

Comment

It's not at the moment!!

Comment

Bought some rad-flush today and am expecting new rad cap and stat from Roughtracks in tomorrow's post, it's gotta be worth a try and cant hurt anything, I hope. Any one tell me how much the cooling system holds or how much antifreeze/summer coolant I need to put in from empty. So that should fill in my only day off this week.

Cheers guys: Spoggle

Comment

I think it's somewhere around 10 litres, assuming the block is empty,
                        but you'll end up putting in closer to 6-7 litres, unless you drain the
                        block. Aim for a 50/50 mix. Even with clear water in the block, you'll
                        end up keeping above the 30/70 ratio if you pre mix the water &
                        antifreeze before putting it in the cooling system. Or, put a bit extra
                        straight antifreeze in to get closer to the 50/50 ratio. Clear as mud.

Comment

I think it's somewhere around 10 litres, assuming the block is empty,
                          but you'll end up putting in closer to 6-7 litres, unless you drain the
                          block. Aim for a 50/50 mix. Even with clear water in the block, you'll
                          end up keeping above the 30/70 ratio if you pre mix the water &
                          antifreeze before putting it in the cooling system. Or, put a bit extra
                          straight antifreeze in to get closer to the 50/50 ratio. Clear as mud.

Errrrrrrr...........yup, got ya mate. I think

Ta ; Spoggle

Comment

Working...
                          X