Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp fluxes

Evening all
    Been having over heating problems with 'Le Surf' for a week now an today the temp gauge has starting fluxuating, moving from half wat to touching the RED. i did a rad flush and replace all the water and even put coolant/anti freeze in her anyone got any ideas what up with her? i thought it mite be the seal on the rad filler cap , or the thermostat mite be fooked.

Anyone?
    Cheers
    Scotty

Drink Jagermeister Responsibly

have you tried running with the thermostat out?

remove it when cold, and drop into a saucepan filled with water just off the boil, it should open at 88 degrees i think.

have you had your head gas tested yet mate?
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

havent really tryed anything yet , apart from a rad flush. Shes got a MOT on wednesday i jus hope they pick wats up on wats wrong
      Cheers
      Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by avalon
        havent really tryed anything yet , apart from a rad flush. Shes got a MOT on wednesday i jus hope they pick wats up on wats wrong
        unlikely to scott, as they dont go above emissions on the mot, you can ask them to gas test it for you, tell you either way if your suffering from the dreaded head crack.
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

i hope not , cos im skint as fook at the mo, the performance hasnt dropped any would it drop if she was...............cracked?
          Cheers
          Scotty

Comment

i'd make a start with rad cap and thermostat... if the stat's sticking then it will heat up and then cool as the cooler water from the rad gets in. but that will make the stat close again.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

mine didnt, but did have a rather large plume of white smoke behind me everywhere i went!!
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

If you haven't already replaced them since getting the Surf, the
                rad cap and thermostat should always be the first port of call.
                Rule out the basics first, then start worrying.

Comment

i hope ur rite Matt , but then again would Pops sell me a duff surf? lol
                  Cheers
                  Scotty

Comment

Did you bleed the air out with the heater(s) on hottest position? I usually start the engine from cold and top up/squeeze the hoses and keep topping up until the stat opens, then you can usually get a drop more in. Put Plenty in the header tank - forget the max mark, just fill it up the excess will overflow. Take it for a spin and check again when it has cooled.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by avalon
                      i hope ur rite Matt , but then again would Pops sell me a duff surf? lol
                      It was Pops Surf! Have you hosed all the mud out of the rad fins?
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

we were talking about that saturday...

have you managed to get insurance??

i just changed mine to Elephant for £253.45... only 29 and 2 years NCB

put my mum on named so it went down by nearly £100

Admiral have been arsing around for the last 2 months wanting £509 so i'm just gonna ditch them!
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Nope
                          Best quote so far is £2400 from adrain flux,unless i go with the AA which is £5000
                          Hopefully my mates bro who wrks for HSBC insurance can do me a good deal *fingers crossed*

As for the mud im still hosing of the seats and carpets to get rid of the it!!

An yes we were talking about this on saturday, lol
                          Cheers
                          Scotty

Comment

If you're temperature guage is swinging around whilst you're driving along, you've almost certainly got some air in there. Get more coolant, a telly, a VCR, a tape of Gandhi and prepare for a long afternoon of putting your heaters on full, squeezing every hose a thousand times and (thanks to my forewarning) watching Gandhi.

Comment

£2400??? I think I'm hard done by at £254. (Fully comp) My daughter (18)was messing around with quotes and got one of £2800 for driving my Surf. That gave her something to think about. A good dose of reality!!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X