New Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car?

OK, I've had my 2.4 2nd gen for nearly two years now, and I still love it. There isn't a day I walk out the front door, see it sat there in the drive, and grin.

However, it's not all perfect. The head has gone (at least I think it has, got all the right - or should that be wrong - signs), and I'm getting a bit fed up of the gutlessness (is that a word??? ) of the 2.4.

Soooo, I'm pretty much going to sell my Surf. However, I'm not going far. Thing is, I can't quite decide what car to get next, so here's where you guys come in.

HELP ME CHOOSE!

Here are the choices I have come down to, with a Pros and Cons

1. Late model 3ltr 2nd Gen
    Pros:
    I like the body style, especially the tailgate
    I should be able to get one cheap enough that I can afford some off-road specific mods
    Cons:
    I'll have a car that is largely the same as I currently have

2. Early model 3rd Gen
    Pros:
    Better 4wd system
    Better equipped
    Cons:
    It'll cost me more, so I'll be much more wary about damaging it doing silly things in the mud
    Less spare cash for mods

3. 80 Series Land Cruiser 4.2 VX
    Pros:
    Much better 4wd system
    4.2 litres of turbocharged power :
    Cons:
    It'll cost me even more, so less money for fun stuff and even more worried about off-road madness
    Go for the 2nd Gen, and mod it :D
    65.63%
    Go for the 3rd Gen, and stop worrying
    25.00%
    Go for the LC, you won't regret it
    0%
    Quite whinging, fix the 2.4, and spend the cash on Wine, Wimmin, and Song. ;)
    9.38%
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Right,

I'm not the best person to reply as i only have experience of your first option, however my theory is this: You current beasty gives you a smile every day, but it lets you down by the fear over the engine reliability and its lack of power.

You could get a shiny 3rd Gen, it would cost more money and be nice and shiny, as i don't know know your budget i don't know if you'd be getting one at the lower end of the market (ie mybe higher mileage/a little tatty) or not. Same goes for the landcruiser, plus its more of an unknown quantity, you KNOW the surf makes you smile!!!

My choice would be to get a late 3.0 second gen ssrg with low mileage, maybe a fresh import in mint condition, then drop it off with Tony to work his magic. Then you end up with a powerful low mileage reliable truck, that you know you love, with 4 inch of lift, shiny wheels, 33's, and all set for some proper off road shenanegans. Just what you bought it for!!!!!!

Thats my personal preference, as i do prefer the look of the 2nd gens, give me chrome ans steel over plastic any day!!

Mart

(wait for barrage of abuse from the plastic fantastic 3rd geners)
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

I agree with Mart - cracking idea

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I also agree best option
        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
          Right,
          You could get a shiny 3rd Gen, it would cost more money and be nice and shiny, as i don't know know your budget i don't know if you'd be getting one at the lower end of the market (ie mybe higher mileage/a little tatty) or not. Same goes for the landcruiser, plus its more of an unknown quantity, you KNOW the surf makes you smile!!!
          Ooops, sorry, I missed out my budget. I have roughly £6K to play with, but that isn't set in stone, and I can be flexible.

Also, unfortunately Tony is a touch too far away, and besides I like getting the spanners and the angle grinder out.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Right,

I'm not the best person to reply as i only have experience of your first option, however my theory is this: You current beasty gives you a smile every day, but it lets you down by the fear over the engine reliability and its lack of power.

My choice would be to get a late 3.0 second gen ssrg with low mileage, maybe a fresh import in mint condition, then drop it off with Tony to work his magic. Then you end up with a powerful low mileage reliable truck, that you know you love, with 4 inch of lift, shiny wheels, 33's, and all set for some proper off road shenanegans. Just what you bought it for!!!!!!

Thats my personal preference, as i do prefer the look of the 2nd gens, give me chrome ans steel over plastic any day!!

Mart

(wait for barrage of abuse from the plastic fantastic 3rd geners)
            spoken like a genius
            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

ooooooooo!!!!!

Imagine the 2nd gen for 6k!!

brand new off the boat, 40,000 miles on the clock, ssrg.

then 2" body lift, 2" sus lift (you can do it yourself with your own spanners!! not sure about the angle grinder though!!)

Then get some lovely wide chrome rims and a huge set of 33's on there.

mmmm lovely.

you could even stretch the budget and make it even better by getting a BURGUNDY one!!!
              Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

If you go for a new truck, you've got to try and sell the one with the dodgy head first!

Comment

ooooooooo!!!!!

Imagine the 2nd gen for 6k!!

brand new off the boat, 40,000 miles on the clock, ssrg.

then 2" body lift, 2" sus lift (you can do it yourself with your own spanners!! not sure about the angle grinder though!!)

Then get some lovely wide chrome rims and a huge set of 33's on there.

mmmm lovely.

you could even stretch the budget and make it even better by getting a BURGUNDY one!!!
                  You're thinking along the lines of what I'm thinking, however the £6K has to cover the mods too. To add to your list: set of rock sliders, and some form of diff-locker, maybe a snorkel too.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

sell the 2.4 on for spares and get the 3l 2nd gen .......you know it makes sense go on go on go on
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      If you go for a new truck, you've got to try and sell the one with the dodgy head first!
                      Unfortunately I have a conscience otherwise it'd be very easy to off-load it to some poor un-suspecting AutoTrader fool. So it will have a new head first, this has already been factored.
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Fair enough!

Comment

I agree with everyone else - newer 2nd gen 3.0. That's the way I'm headed with precisely the same conundrum.

One other suggestion (seeing as I'm guessing, from the consideration of the LC, that economy is not your number one goal) would be that you get a V6 Surf or 4runner. They seem to be a little bit cheaper than the 3.0td to buy because they get through the old fuel a bit quicker. On your budget, you could get hold of a decent V6 (there's one in the for sale section and, no, it's nothing to do with me) and get an LPG conversion. Just a thought.

Or, seeing as you like yours apart from the engine (which needs a £1,100 repair), why not invest in a disgracefully powerful V8 for it and spend the rest of your budget on mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                            Or, seeing as you like yours apart from the engine (which needs a £1,100 repair), why not invest in a disgracefully powerful V8 for it and spend the rest of your budget on mods.

Hell yeah!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                              I agree with everyone else - newer 2nd gen 3.0. That's the way I'm headed with precisely the same conundrum.

One other suggestion (seeing as I'm guessing, from the consideration of the LC, that economy is not your number one goal) would be that you get a V6 Surf or 4runner. They seem to be a little bit cheaper than the 3.0td to buy because they get through the old fuel a bit quicker. On your budget, you could get hold of a decent V6 (there's one in the for sale section and, no, it's nothing to do with me) and get an LPG conversion. Just a thought.

Hehe.

Whilst fuel economy isn't a major factor, I'd rather keep it roughly the same as I get now (21-24mpg depending on town or motorway). It's my understanding that the 4.2LC can get mid 20s mpg. Whilst the idea of a V8 is very very very appealing, it's not a practical proposition unfortunately.
                              Paul </Slugsie>
                              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X