Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty rear bumper - what to do?

I have a 2nd gen with this type of chromed rear bumper:

Problem is, its been chipped/dented in 3 places and the chrome has cracked meaning I have a few rusty patches which are starting to spoil an otherwise pretty mint looking vehicle. Only a cosmetic issue, the rust is not bad enough to be a real problem.

Question is, what should I do? Don't really want to replace the whole thing or replace with an "off road" bumper and being chromed it can't be stripped back, treated and re-painted.

Anyone got any suggestions for an easy way to sort or even cover up (thought about maybe some black or reflective self-adhesive strip or something like that to cover the entire middle chrome section, but not sure where I could get something like that made/cut to the right size or if it would look rubbish.

Any ideas?
    No longer a Surf owner.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by internetsurfer
      Thanks, but if I replace it then I will have to re-do my in-bumper foglights, I was hoping for some tips or methods to treat/sort or cover-up in some way.
      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
        I have a 2nd gen with this type of chromed rear bumper:

Problem is, its been chipped/dented in 3 places and the chrome has cracked meaning I have a few rusty patches which are starting to spoil an otherwise pretty mint looking vehicle. Only a cosmetic issue, the rust is not bad enough to be a real problem.

Question is, what should I do? Don't really want to replace the whole thing or replace with an "off road" bumper and being chromed it can't be stripped back, treated and re-painted.

Anyone got any suggestions for an easy way to sort or even cover up (thought about maybe some black or reflective self-adhesive strip or something like that to cover the entire middle chrome section, but not sure where I could get something like that made/cut to the right size or if it would look rubbish.

Any ideas?

How about one of those chrome stick-on vinyl strips type thingies, the ones you see stuck along the bottoms of the doors on limos.

Comment

take it off and have it re chromed.or try this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALUMINIUM-stic...QQcmdZViewItem
          Last edited by internetsurfer; 30 June 2006, 18:08.

Comment

or this..........http://stickers.signprint.co.uk/inde...oducts_id=8741

Comment

This looks ok and is cheap enough
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SELF-ADHESIVE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or how about a carbon fibre effect
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-FIBRE-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

rusty bumper

I would not waste your time or effort by sticking on tape. Because there are dents and scratches the chances are the rust will come from behind. If you were serious about covering up the patch, I would recommend removing the bumper, clean totally especially from behind and rub down the infected area. Treat with an anti-rust paint and then use a thick coating of Hammerite or equivelant. This is the only sure-fire way that you will not get bubbles of rust festering away behind a sticker.
                In saying that I personally have grey duck tape covering the two holes on my bumper (put on by MOT tester, to get through MOT) so its a case of do as I should have done and not what I say.....
                I would really like to put on a tubular back bumper but I have bigger probs to sort out before cosmetics.

Comment

can you get it blasted and powder coated? got to last better than sticky stuff...
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Agreed, but I think his jigsaw is broken!

Comment

There's no easy fix for bad/rusty chrome! anything you stick over it is gonna look cr@p and wont last long, No good gettin em rechromed either if there rusty, Used to work for a chrome platers and they would'nt accept rusty stuff, only one way to go if you want to keep the "look " is replace em , both my rear quaters are starting to go and they'll have to keep going till i can afford new ones,
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Suppose you could try checker plating it, dunno how it would turn out or how expensive it is though.

Comment

Working...
                        X