Strange Happenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Happenings

Lately have had problem with water loss, but no idea where it goes. Tony did gas test on water and seemed OK. Have just done round trip London to Stoke on Trent, which was app 600 klms. Filled up car with water on leaving and on arriving it needed about 4 ltrs water. On return to London needed app 3ltrs water. No overheating on journey, only slightly as got near destination. Went there and back on 100% veg oil and strange to say MPG seems to have improved slightly. No more smoke from exhaust than usual, even when putting foot on accelorator. Also oil seems fine. Can't find any obvious drips anywhere.
    Going for pressure test in the morning, to see if they can find leak.
    SO WHERE THE HELL IS WATER GOING !!

Philip
    Still Searching,
    Dick Whittington

Originally posted by Philip
    Lately have had problem with water loss, but no idea where it goes. Tony did gas test on water and seemed OK. Have just done round trip London to Stoke on Trent, which was app 600 klms. Filled up car with water on leaving and on arriving it needed about 4 ltrs water. On return to London needed app 3ltrs water. No overheating on journey, only slightly as got near destination. Went there and back on 100% veg oil and strange to say MPG seems to have improved slightly. No more smoke from exhaust than usual, even when putting foot on accelorator. Also oil seems fine. Can't find any obvious drips anywhere.

Philip
    Had the same on mine a while back mine was leaking out of pinholes in the header on the radiator and evaporating as it leaked leaving no trace apart from the dried coolant (like a powder). Got the rad reconned and it cured it.
    Trust your Hound.

Comment

I have the same problem at the moment. Every couple of days I have to top up the coolant. I think I've got leaking heater hoses, I noticed they are dripping after fitting an air bleed valve. I guess when the engine is hot, the drips just evaporate on contact with the engine so no evidence is found. I think I just need to get the hose clips really tight.

Comment

hate to say this but it sounds similar to my problem and it was the head, none of the usual symptoms when Steve pressure tested it the pressure dropped slowly. No visible leaks no smoke from exhaust and it seemed to run fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip

Philip
          Mine is exactly the same. I can drive 1000km doing short trips of 30km at a time, and not lose a drop, but one long journey of 500km, and I lose a couple of litres. All I can think is that there is a very small leak, which under long periods of high pressure loses enough water to cause the temp to raise a bit, which in turn increases the pressure, and from there on it is a vicious circle until it over heats, or you stop!
          Jez

Comment

had something like this on my old BMW and it was a couple of pinholes in hoses only found them by covering hoses in talcum powder you could try something like chalk I suppose......

Comment

Had car checked out this morning and after an hour the mecanic who is good, could not find any loss of pressure, gas in water or any leaks.
              I have tried to dissuade Tony from going on honeymoon, but for some reason he seems to think its more important than finding out if i have a head gasket leak. Seems strange to me !!!
              Will just have to make sure i am carrying water with me and make sure it doesn't overheat and just hope the head is fine.
              All the best to Tony and Linda,
              Best regards Philip
              Still Searching,
              Dick Whittington

Comment

Had a similar prob with a BM 535 a few years ago. Turned out to be a cracked head, which was a common problem with that model. I wasn't losing any compression, but the water was seeping in to the oilways around the head, then evaporating the the dipstick [so a mechanic informed me]. When I came to change the oil [this was before I knew what the problem was], it was like milk chocolate!
                Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

mine is leaking on a rear heater matrix pipe underneath at the mo. have you only check the engine bay? try underneath
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Mecanic put car on ramp and had it running for about an hour, so was nice and hot. No leaks anywhere underneath.
                    Still Searching,
                    Dick Whittington

Comment

Working...
                    X