Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating!

Evening all
    Today i decidede to go out and find 'Milners Off Road' in Matlock as its only 30 miles dwn the road an i need some tyres anyway. So me an mar mate were trundling through the Derbyshire countryside when i noticed that me tempreture gauge was through the roof!! I dived in to the nearest layby and cracked the bonnet open to find steam billowing out of the filler cap and the coolant bottle. I started to unscrew the filler cap a little to relieve some presure. But i undid it to much and the whole thing blew up in our face ive been scauled by boiling engine water all up my arm. (ouch) We let the engine cool dwn then decide to drive back to a farm we had seen about a mile back. Luckily i had a jerry can on board, So me with jerry can in hand and my mate who is recovering from a broken ankle are walking/limping dwn this farm track leaving the truck on the roadside with bonnet up. We aproach this old rundwn farm and knock on the door and a couple of minutes later a elderly farmer appears at the door with big jam jar style glasses unshaven face and a bright orange lumberjack shirt on and we enquire if we can borrow some water for the Surf. Said farmer is very helpful and saved the day really and im very grateful. We get back to the surf and realise that is gonna be difficult to pour/lift a 20ltr jerry can in to a inch wide whole.After much routing around in the back i find a big flask so we fill the flask up then pour it in.
    Back on the road we decide to keep on going to Milners we eventually get there with no help from the directions from Multimap.com and purchase 2 50/50 tyres which were dirt(no pun intended) cheap. I head back to sunny old Staffordshire and the temp guage is sitting fine in the middle of the dial, Until i get 3 miles from home wen she starts edging back up again! Just about got home and opend the bonnet and more steam pouring out. I fill the surf back up with water(again) and leave her running for a while and theres no loss of water,when i notice that the sensor on the side of wat i think is the water pump(i may be wrong) is missing its wire. I find the wire which aint in the best condition and re-connect it and hope full that the problem fix fingers crossed.
    What dya reckon?
    Any help would be helpful
    Oh an Pops if your wondering why you had a missed call of me just look above
    Cheers
    Scotty

Drink Jagermeister Responsibly

The water pump is behind the timing belt cover. Do you mean the wire has come off on the thermostat housing, the area under the rad cap???

Comment

thats the one, learning new stuff everyday on the surf
      Cheers
      Scotty

Comment

The wire that came off, is probably the sender wire for the electric back up fan behind the grille. It comes on when the engine temp starts to creep up.

Comment

u think thats was my problem then? i hope so cos im skint at the mo an cant afford fook all
          Cheers
          Scotty

Comment

In the morning, when the engine is stone cold check the coolant level again. If it needs topping up, make sure you set the heater controls to hot, including the rear passenger heater.

Comment

Cheers mate if all goes well thers a pint coming your way
              Cheers
              Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by avalon
                Cheers mate if all goes well thers a pint coming your way
                Itll be flat by the time it get there!
                Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  The wire that came off, is probably the sender wire for the electric back up fan behind the grille. It comes on when the engine temp starts to creep up.
                  On the thermostat housing there are two senders with wires.
                  The one that is on the left is the temp gauge
                  The one on the front is for the electric fan in front of the a/c rad, if this wire is brocken or disconnected the lecky fan should run all the time. If not then the wiring is poked.
                  Mine was like this so I put in a whole new system to run the fan and am about to put a second fan in as the a/c rad has vanished.
                  Simon.O.
                  '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.
                    On the thermostat housing there are two senders with wires.
                    The one that is on the left is the temp gauge
                    The one on the front is for the electric fan in front of the a/c rad, if this wire is brocken or disconnected the lecky fan should run all the time. If not then the wiring is poked.
                    Mine was like this so I put in a whole new system to run the fan and am about to put a second fan in as the a/c rad has vanished.
                    Details and diagrams? Please.

Comment

Do your self a big favour,
                      Open the bonnet when engine cold, remove radiator filler cap, start the engine and if water is splurting out big time, then your cylinder head is cracked. If not then start messing with other stuff.
                      I am still suprised the dti hasn't put a block on 2.4 surfs coming to this country, I heard Australia banned them around 3 years ago?? I passed another one today on the m62 with steam bellowing from the bonnet.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
                        Open the bonnet when engine cold, remove radiator filler cap, start the engine and if water is splurting out big time, then your cylinder head is cracked. If not then start messing with other stuff.
                        I am still suprised the dti hasn't put a block on 2.4 surfs coming to this country, I heard Australia banned them around 3 years ago?? I passed another one today on the m62 with steam bellowing from the bonnet.

Andy
                        sounds like a great idea !! ban the 2.4's

make mine worth more lol
                        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W

Andy
                          i think it was grey import cars rather than 2.4 surfs that were banned??
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I second that Simon, Would like to be able to switch the fan on manualy, Ian
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                              i think it was grey import cars rather than 2.4 surfs that were banned??
                              It was. No use trying to correct the peasant's, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X