No announcement yet.

Old men on benches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hehe i must be the youngest old git around!!!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by Shab
      I know this won't mean much to the younger members of this forum, but yesterday I saw a couple of old men sat on a bench just watching the world go by, something I've not seen for a long time [or "yonks" as the oldies might say].

Anyway my point is do any of you remember when this was a pretty common sight? Or has this ritual just died out where I live?

Shab.
      still is where i live
      terrie and i often go down the beach after work with flask of Tea and see loads of them, the benches are now there cars or the little camping chairs but same thing (we been doing it for YONKS too) so i an oldie Who cares?
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Most of the benches round here are occupied by twenty-something alchoholics and druggies. In the evenings they are the meeting place for brainless teenage hoodlums.

The benches in the local shopping centre were removed to stop gangs of youths congregating, so now the oldies have nowhere for a rest and a natter before they take their shopping home. It is too difficult to move the yobs on so everybody has to suffer.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          It all started as soon as this country was 'controlled' by the suits in Brussels.

I think it has more to do with the wholsale adoption of the "American Way".

We seem to mindlessly follow the American lead, from politics and education, right through to business and even the way we now speak. Now I'm not for a minute saying that all the ideas that emerge for the States are no good, it's just that the attitude seems to be if an idea comes from American, it must be good.

I think we in grave danger of losing our true national identy, and with it our values. Unfortunately, what seems to be replacing it is the nationalistic hysteria over the England football team...

Rant over,

Shab.
          Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Maybe its time WE decided WE CAN make a difference, so the next time you see a bench, sit on it and bide a while, you might find there is somebody out there who will sit and chew the fat.

It may take time but maybe we can be the start of the change back to the good old days.

From some one who's heading towards being an oldie
            www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

i've also noticed when walking the dog that its only the old timers who'll stop and want a chat about the mutts and whatever, i usually give nod or say hello to most dog walkers and see same faces most days but very few ever acknowledge me...it may be the surf cloaking thing rubbing off because no-one waves back when i'm on the road in the surf, but maybe they're all just jealous because i only ever see 2nd and 3rd gens!!
              i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                but maybe they're all just jealous because i only ever see 2nd and 3rd gens!!
                Yeah, 1st gen envy is a sad but common thing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Never ever had a wave returned when in me Runner , they are all jealous of me .
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

This is the BEST thread yet.
                    Sign of old gitterishness or wot.

Unfortunately when following the good ol' U.S.
                    why oh why don't we follow their the fuel prices i.e. price at the pump?
                    I used to work offshore in various places round the world, and when the price of a barrel went down we were asked to take a wage cut but when it went up did we get a wage increase ????
                    I DON'T FINK SO.......
                    Worst thing I dun in my life was coming back to UK.
                    rant rant rant............

Comment

i can remember when all this was fields....

just practicing....
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by marticogo
                        This is the BEST thread yet.
                        Sign of old gitterishness or wot.

Unfortunately when following the good ol' U.S.
                        why oh why don't we follow their the fuel prices i.e. price at the pump?
                        I used to work offshore in various places round the world, and when the price of a barrel went down we were asked to take a wage cut but when it went up did we get a wage increase ????
                        I DON'T FINK SO.......
                        Worst thing I dun in my life was coming back to UK.
                        rant rant rant............

You're bang on though...we import all the rubbish but leave out good service, value for money etc...
                        Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Working...
                        X