Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple more inches dear ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/General-Grabbe...QQcmdZViewItem

Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Hmmm Anyone We Know??

O no The Witch is coming
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

My 1st gen gained a couple of inches when I took the roof off!! That thing is heavy.

3 weeks + of open topped motoring so far, rear springs flex better with the roof on though!! Bit bumpy without the extra weight.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony, have you considered making a permanent convertable soft top for the 1st gen or have any of you ever seen anything like that elsewhere, OZ maybe?
        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
          Tony, have you considered making a permanent convertable soft top for the 1st gen or have any of you ever seen anything like that elsewhere, OZ maybe?
          Yeah, I want one of these, but they are hard to get hold of..........

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/can-back/

GT Dog has said he knows a boat cover guy who would make one, if we sort the hoops.

If I make one, it'll only go to the roll bar, then down at a angle to the tailgate, like the Suzuki Bikini tops, that'd look sweet.

At the moment it gets a tarp over the back at night or goes in the garage.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

that looks brilliant, have you tried contacting them before? if so would they send to uk, price dependent i'd deffo get one, it looks perfect!

cheers for the link!

Comment

I'll get my sewing machine out. I normally use it to sew rip-stop for kites but have embarked on a custom octagonal gazebo to go over my brothers swimming pool. Soft tops mmmmmm.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Ive got a couple of articles on how to make your own soft top and how to make the hoops and rails requierd . One article uses an old Army canvas , whole job done for about £75 if I convert the money correctly . I wont have a soft top until we move somewhere more secure , or there will be no interior left by the morning .

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  Ive got a couple of articles on how to make your own soft top and how to make the hoops and rails requierd . One article uses an old Army canvas , whole job done for about £75 if I convert the money correctly . I wont have a soft top until we move somewhere more secure , or there will be no interior left by the morning .

could you give us the link or email them or are they in a magazine?

i really like look of those in the link Tony left but I think you're looking at about $1500ish to get one here. i've emailed the company so just waiting for reply with price at the moment but if its as much as their site has them listed at then there's no way.

Comment

Can-back was the favourite but went out of buisness from wot I understand . I have the articles somewhere on one of the PC's . I will have a look on them for you .
                    One does convert a rear cover from a FJ series Landcruiser to fit . These tops are big bucks including shipping to this side of the pond . I have been looking at making my own , as I said , from an article (if I find it ) . GT Dog can get the cloth , I know a guy who trims cars so got the supplier and maker covered . Just the cost , is it worth it ?

Comment

not too sure how worthwhile it is, but it's definately worth looking into, you are right about pricing. i think the site said $1,200 for a 4runner top, then delivery etc wouldn't be worth that but would be a very cool and interesting mod!

Comment

EXCELLENT!!! cheers rick - that last one looks very tempting.

i doubt if it will be a mod i get done ready for this summer but hopefully with enough time to get all the bits i'll have something knocked up and ready for next year!

Comment

I would love to leave the roof off all year like my old Landy full tilt I had and that had no heater in it (optional extra in 1951 !). But that was 20 years ago before chavs and scum moved to the area . . Even with the soft top on I think it would be slashed or torn off .

Comment

yeah that is a worry, fortunately i can lock it all away (unless it gets any taller!!!) but i'd still worry about parking anywhere, not fear of any theft it is usually mindless vandalism isn't it....like vincent vega (travolta in pulp fiction) said, it'd be worth them doing it (the vandalism) if you could catch them at it.

had a few cars scratched up before but nothing major. my younger brother gave a good slapping to a divvy who kicked his wing mirror off outside guildfords old cinema just as we were walking back to the car....that was very funny because he literally just grabbed him with one hand and repeatedly open handed slapped this guy about 6 times across the face as hard as possible, absolutely hilarious and the guy was more embarrassed than hurt i think!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X