Trying to keep my cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to keep my cool

Just lashed out on a caravan last week and hauled it up to north Northumberland for a weekend jaunt last weekend. Excellent campsite called the Warren ,just out side of Beadnell Bay, well worth a visit, excellent views over Holy Island etc. Lots of fun on the drive up watching the fuel gauge go down and the the temp gauge go up, The question is, what can I do to try to put off the old 2.4 head giving out. I've thought about air vents in the bonnet extra fans, atf oil coolers. I'm even planning future routes to avoid hills. Last time out had no probs if I kept her under 2500 rpm, over that the temp gauge stared to head towards the red. I love my cylinder head and as much as I want to lash out on on a new and improved one, well having bought the caravan dosh is a bit tight. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta in advance Spoggle

well an extra atf oil cooler is cheap to fit..the bigger the better
    3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Sounds good to me, Advise please guys. How should I go about it. and what do I need and who will sell the bits needed. Please bear in mind I aint no super mechanic. Any step by step advice and photos would be brill.

Cheers Spoggle.

Comment

atf cooler seems the way for you caravaners, also you could give the cooling system a good flush and put some good new coolant back in, also service the viscous fan and maybe wind her up a little to make it work harder! and you could do the mod to the electric fan aswell by putting a switch in the cab so you can switch it on when you wish! iam sure there is other things as well but cant think of any at mo!

have a good look through the search button and all will be revealed!!
        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

I have put RS Turbo Bonnet Vents in and took the Air Con out.. as in-removed the under-slung radiator to give better air flow around the engine bay.

You can see the heat haze coming out of the vents.
          I like Orientals

Comment

right the surf has just towed a big van home and ive got:
            electric fan override i fitted the other day (easy mod if your hard/soft suspension switch is not used any more !) and a huge atf cooler from a v8 rangie (that no longer uses the rad cooler - see pic) and the temp gauge was still deciding if we needed heating on or not! the rest of the time you could see it rise and fall with the stat which i cant usually see, it just it got toasty a handfull of times.

im sure this is just down to a partially blocked rad though, we'll see when i get it out this week. other than that it towed ok.
            Attached Files
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to fitting an overide switch on the electric fan

Cheers Spoggle

Comment

ok.....
                first of all run the engine (or just with ign on) and determine which wire overrides the fan. do this by pulling the wire off the thermostat housing (its the bigger of the two). when you take the wire off the fan should come on.

the red cross in the pic means chop the wire before it goes into the loom. join both ends that you cut and feed inside and join onto a switch, i used my old suspension hard/soft switch (use the top two terminals)

you should then be able to switch from normal operation to forcing the fan on.

i hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Cheers for that Tim. It works!!! And for me and electrics thats a wonder . Hardest part was gettin the wires into the cab.

Once again Ta

Cheers: Spoggle

Comment

Working...
                  X