who uses the hand brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who uses the hand brake?

i have just changed my rear brake shoes and if i had thought about it a bit first i would not have needed to do it.
    why ? i hear you cry!!

well i do not use the handbrake, never have . its an auto so in park it aint goint to go nowhere. but because i dont use it the brakes never get adjusted.
    hence the diving of the front on breaking, the rear just dont get to do any thing.

so who else is like me and never uses the hand brake?
    so much to do , so little money , so little time

I always have used the handbrake, for that very reason!!!
    It just does, OK?

Comment

is guilty

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Very rarely. Only use it when on ferry and dont want to nudge car in front when rough!!
        www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

sometimes
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I usually use it at traffic lights, as I nearly stayed in reverse once when the lights went green!
            Got an itch, might need to scratch it soon.

Comment

i never use it apart from when someone asks "where the hell is the handbrake?" My main fear is not being able to get it off again at some traffic lights and looking like a tool!

guess i should use it more then. shouldn't really attempt handbrake turns in a surf though should i?

Mart
              Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Always , but then again mine's a manual

Andy.

Comment

I always use mine, 'cos where I live. Everywhere I park is on a bl**dy hill!

Comment

bobafatass, me too, manuals just don't cut it without a handbrake. My old auto did once decide to throw a wobbly on a hill when i didn't have the handbrake on but otherwise, no, it never got used.

B16mts, if handbrake turns in a surf are anything like j turns, then NO - DON'T DO IT!! Anyone tried it though?????????????
                    ======
                    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

You should use your handbrake, even if you have a Auto, the rear brake self adjuster only works on the hand brake lever. So as the rear shoes wear down, (all be it slowly) you'll just end up with more pedal travel and rubbish feeling brakes.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thats the problem i was tring to point out , it never occured to me that that was how the self adjuster worked, the brakes have been getting worse and worse, because they were never self adjusted by the hand brake.
                        well you live and learn.

as an aside how often should the brake fluid be replaced and any one know off the head what the order of bleeding is?
                        so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

well folks, i have never, ever, ever come across a self adjuster that worked!! IMO, self adjuster means YOU have to adjust it?
                          Back to the question, yes i always use the handbrake!
                          What comes around goes around!!

Comment

If you dont use it it will huff up next MOT IE stuck cables and no worky adjusters = FAILURE = money!

Comment

Originally posted by surffreak
                              thats the problem i was tring to point out , it never occured to me that that was how the self adjuster worked, the brakes have been getting worse and worse, because they were never self adjusted by the hand brake.
                              well you live and learn.

as an aside how often should the brake fluid be replaced and any one know off the head what the order of bleeding is?
                              You should change it about every two years, and when you bleed it, start at the back near side then off side rear , nears side front and last off side front.
                              DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Working...
                              X