Swapping out speakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping out speakers.

Last night I replaced the fronts with some Sony 4" speakers [the originals looked like the strips of tape people tie to the front of fans, how they still made a sound I'll never know...].

Anyway, the operation was a complete success with grate sound, so I decided I would replace the rear ones. I had a quick look in the back but couldn't easily find out how to remove the panels. I've looked around the posts but couldn't see anything relating to this.

Also, are they the same size as the front ones?. Somebody said that 5.25" ones fit, but that may have been after a modification.

Thanks,

Shab.
    Carpe Biscalorum...

Originally posted by Shab
    Last night I replaced the fronts with some Sony 4" speakers [the originals looked like the strips of tape people tie to the front of fans, how they still made a sound I'll never know...].

Anyway, the operation was a complete success with grate sound, so I decided I would replace the rear ones. I had a quick look in the back but couldn't easily find out how to remove the panels. I've looked around the posts but couldn't see anything relating to this.

Also, are they the same size as the front ones?. Somebody said that 5.25" ones fit, but that may have been after a modification.

Thanks,

Shab.
    where did ya get yer sony 4" from?

Stu
    http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Rear Trim removal

Should help you a little bit. I have mine in lots of pieces now, as I am doing an install (I really should post some pics eventually). 2 sets of component speakers (front and rear) and a set of coaxial speakers in the rear seat pillars, 2x 15inch subs totalling about 3Kw. D'oh, my ears!

The rear panels are prone to ridiculous vibration because of the space in there and that makes the bass and general sound a bit nasty, they really need damping or the area behing the speaker packing with accoustic foam, usually available from good audio retailers. You'll be amazed at the clarity!

The Truck in the tutorial used to belong to the guy who wrote the tutorial, but it's somehow found it's way to me and is getting re-modded!
      ======
      Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
        where did ya get yer sony 4" from?

Stu
        Stu, got them from Halfords, £40. You can't use the original screws to re-attach them as the speaker mounting bracket holes don't fully line up with the speaker housing holes, but you can use a couple of self tappers and it works a treat, makes for a really good sound.

Cheers,

Shab
        Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Originally posted by andy_enuff
          Rear Trim removal

Should help you a little bit. I have mine in lots of pieces now, as I am doing an install (I really should post some pics eventually). 2 sets of component speakers (front and rear) and a set of coaxial speakers in the rear seat pillars, 2x 15inch subs totalling about 3Kw. D'oh, my ears!

The rear panels are prone to ridiculous vibration because of the space in there and that makes the bass and general sound a bit nasty, they really need damping or the area behing the speaker packing with accoustic foam, usually available from good audio retailers. You'll be amazed at the clarity!

The Truck in the tutorial used to belong to the guy who wrote the tutorial, but it's somehow found it's way to me and is getting re-modded!

Thanks for the link Andy...I'd just found it 30secs before I saw your post! [after about 3 hours]!

Cheers,

Shab.
          Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Yeah, had the same problem until I'd been there so often that I keep it in my memory now LOL
            ======

Comment

Yeah, had the same problem until I'd been there so often that I keep it in my memory now LOL

So Andy, from what I can gather, the rears need to 5" 2ohm active speakers? or did you use normal speakers and bypass the amps?

Shab.
              Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Not 100% sure about the rears, the screws don't fit in properly i know that, i'm actually making custom fibreglass bits in the rear of mine so it's not relevant unfortunately. ONce you get the panels off (it's really not that hard' you'll be able to see, if in any doubt you can always get a little bit of mdf and cut it square to match the holes in the panel, then make a hole in the mdf to fit the speaker to
                ======

Comment

Not 100% sure about the rears, the screws don't fit in properly i know that, i'm actually making custom fibreglass bits in the rear of mine so it's not relevant unfortunately. ONce you get the panels off (it's really not that hard' you'll be able to see, if in any doubt you can always get a little bit of mdf and cut it square to match the holes in the panel, then make a hole in the mdf to fit the speaker to

I shall have a go tonight....

Shab.
                  Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

It takes about 15 mins with the right tools (small flat head screwdriver to remove the screw caps, electric screwdriver to quickly undo screws, strong wallpaper scraer to assist removal of trim and i believe a 14mm socket to remove the seat belt top anchor. May need to do some wiring adjustments (extension etc) to get the old speaker connecters converted to the std spade type. 15mins should get you to a trimless boot.
                    ======

Comment

[quote=andy_enuff] May need to do some wiring adjustments (extension etc) to get the old speaker connecters converted to the std spade type.

Ahhh...So the connectors are not spade types like the front ones...

Thats what I like about working on a Surf...it's the truck that "just keeps on giving..."
                      Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

I believe they ARE spades, however they are in the encapsulated package with the pins about 5mm apart and in the vertical, unlike most OEM speakers which come with the spade terminal about 3 cms apart and laid horinontally LOL
                        ======

Comment

just stick some 6x9's in the tailgate and be done with it
                          Attached Files
                          I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by mooter
                            just stick some 6x9's in the tailgate and be done with it
                            How do you protect them when loading and unloading ?
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                              How do you protect them when loading and unloading ?

They move so much air that stuff just hovers over them...
                              Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Working...
                              X