Out & about the other day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out & about the other day....

Yesterday, me, wife, and two kids where going over to a mates house in Halifax. All things ok with surf, but on reaching motorway hill at M62 summit, the surf seemed to struggle a little getting to top (speed dropped from 80 ish to 60 ish with foot flat to floor). The aircon was on at the time and ECT button pressed. I did this same trip back in Feb, and the surf breezed up the hill. Does the aircon really rob so much power, or could I have a problem loomin?

Originally posted by Ricksurf
    Yesterday, me, wife, and two kids where going over to a mates house in Halifax. All things ok with surf, but on reaching motorway hill at M62 summit, the surf seemed to struggle a little getting to top (speed dropped from 80 ish to 60 ish with foot flat to floor). The aircon was on at the time and ECT button pressed. I did this same trip back in Feb, and the surf breezed up the hill. Does the aircon really rob so much power, or could I have a problem loomin?

Back in feb your engine was gulping nice freezing cold air on its way towards the summit. Yesterday it was gulping air at around 25 degrees.

The lower temp air would be much denser making the engine much more powerful during the cold weather.

Not sure about speed you should expect up hill to be honest.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

we went on a trip up a hill in Cambodia, in a car with air con. it was a steaming hot day but the driver had to turn the aircon off as it was impossible to get the power with it on!!! worth it though, theres a ruined hotel dating from the killing fields era, - its surreal.
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksurf
        dependant on which car running aircon can decrease engine power by 5 to15 % of brake horse power never mind fuel usage
        I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
        (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

My SURF does the same on that bit. 40mph when towing the caravan.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Comment

Working...
            X