I got it at last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got it at last!

Well I got my new baby at 5.25 pm last night. 1993 SSR-X TD with 44k on the clock. Drove 20 miles before finding out someone had left the o/d switch in the on position! Said switched pressed, performance improved lol.

Only had time for a short trip, only thing I could find wrong was that on braking the steering wheel shimmied slightly and I cannot undo the spare wheel locking bolt!
    Handling was different to my Passat (mental note to myself – do NOT try to corner like the car lol) on the plus side – I love it already! Cruised at 75 mph on motorway – and no ‘ding ding’ noise – hooray.

I’m out tonight for a proper test drive (well it’s an excuse to go out aint it?)
    I’ll post some pics later but from where I sit working, I can see it on my drive and drool.

Thanks to Rusty who’s offered to give it the once-over for me, I’ll see you soon mate.
    Dave

My '94 shimmys about 55 and then it vanishes, I was told by a garage mate that it's normal.

I parkled her next to a standard 4runner in Tesco's yesterday. What a difference!
    '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Steering wheel "shimmy" under braking is usually a sign of a warped brake disc. If you jack up the surf and remove the wheel, spin the disc around and watch for the disc getting closer to the caliper and then moving away again...

New disc's ain't to expensive anyway

Good Luck with the new Surf.

Comment

lt should not have passed an MOT with warped disc's take backand ask them to fix it.
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

I'm back up there tomorrow with it. get these little niggles sorted out.
          Dave

Comment

Funnily enough I too have a Passat as well as a Surf. The Passat is a wonderful car - never lets me down, economical, and nice to put through the corners. The Surf - well what can you say - it just has presence. You see over hedges and lollop along like a stately ship. It is not economical, it has cost plenty but ........! It's a bit like a love affair.

Keith

Comment

hiya mate the shimmieing you say about is warped discs i got the same but ive just had a new set delivered by autolink for me to fit so no more shimmy for meeeeeee
              black n tan
              black n tan
              yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyboy
                My '94 shimmys about 55 and then it vanishes, I was told by a garage mate that it's normal.

I parkled her next to a standard 4runner in Tesco's yesterday. What a difference!

when the surf vanishes, are you still visible, like wonder woman in her invisible plane?
                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by Draig
                  I’ll post some pics later but from where I sit working, I can see it on my drive and drool.
                  Ditto. Got mine about 2 months ago and now I'm getting dehydrated from all the drooling

Comment

Working...
                  X