Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical advice needed by caravanning newbie

Hi folks
    As some of you may know, my wife, Denise, was diagnosed with MS last year.
    It has now reached the stage where she is unable to cope with hotels, guesthouses etc, so we are investigating the possibility of a caravan for our holidays. Rather than shell out a considerable sum on a relatively young second-hand model,only to find that caravanning doesn't suit us, we have hired a caravan for a week in July.
    It is an Abbey Impression 2001, 2 berth with a MTPLM of 1263 kg.
    We will be towing it with our 1997 3 litre Gen 3 Surf from Southampton to Poole, then up to Bicester, then back to Southampton - over the space of a week.
    My question is - do I need to fit an ATF cooler to avoid cooking the auto box and/or engine, or can I wait to see if we buy our own caravan and then fit one before we do some more serious touring, without risking expensive damage to the truck?
    Any help/info greatly received.
    Also any general caravanning tips for a total novice!
    Keith

no it will be fine just make sure your motor is up to scratch service wise.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i would also say no need to worry ,but just as a precaution when i first bought my caravan i would travel with the rear fan running and the back window down just to dump any unwanted heat out of the rear of the vehicle this does tend to work best if you dont have any rear passengers, in my case its the norm because the dog has to watch where we have been,i have since fitted a cooler and have not noticed any real difference,its just there for peace of mind

Comment

my 2 penth worth
        check out your viscous fan, if you cannt hear it raw when you rev the motor then it possibly needs topping up, mine would over heat on the slightest hill with the caravan on the back, a tenners worth of oil and an hours labour and all is cool, remember the whole outfit will be about 3 ton so accelerate slowly and allow for braking distances.
        most immportantly enjoy the whole experience as this is wot its all about, your holiday starts as soon as you get in the driving seat so relax and enjoy
        john
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

These previous posts are all good advice. Caravanning is all about chilling out so don't rush to get anywhere and relax (preferably with a cold beer) when you do get there. ENJOY!
          Mick
          [COLOR=DarkOrange]ONLY STUPID PEOPLE THINK

Comment

Many thanks for the comments so far - any more general tips?
            Keith

Comment

You have my deepest sympathy. My first wife had MS, contracted when she was 11. She went down hill very rapidly from age 32, to the extent that she was doubly incontinent and confined to a wheelchair, until her death from MS in 1989. Got to say it was a release when she died, as coping with a 11 stone "baby" is very very difficult and extremely hard work, especially if you're trying to keep a day job going as well.

We had the same problem in it being very difficult to holiday normally, so I bought and converted and old VW camper van. Had that for about 7 years and found it much easier to get her in and out of the van as it's easier to lift someone up into a van seat (and get them out again) than to try and lift them down into and back up out of a normal car seat. Getting your wife into the Surf should be about the same.

Best of luck with the caravan.
              Last edited by Tallyman; 6 June 2006, 22:51.
              Mike G

Comment

Hi m8

Pleased to see another potential caravanner. Me & the missus have just come back from 9 days in devon (nice weather but no surf- the kind in the sea) and the truck coped brill.

Haven't got an additional ATF cooler and the van weighs 1600kg empty. held the road brill, towed very nicely at 55-60mph (except on the car park they call the M5)

Did about 800 miles and no probs at all except a bit thirstier on juice

enjoy & don't worry

ta

hawaii
                I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

I personally would fit a ATF cooler on any auto that does a lot of towing, ie more than 2-3 times a year. You don't have to go nuts, just a small auxillery one is good insurance for the auto box.

Having said that, you shouldn't have many problems towing up to 1.5T without it, unless you live somewhere really hilly.

The only times temps ever got uncomfortable in Linda's 3L was when towing other Surfs on a trailer up long steep hills like on the A30 in Cornwall/Devon.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Keith,

We regularly towed our 1300kg van without an oil cooler with no problems at all up until last year when Tony fitted a cooler for me - but only cos we were spending 3 weeks in the south of France and wanted to make sure the Surf could cope with the extra weight - Chateauneuf du Pape is heavy .......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Also thinking about buying a caravan this year, my back cant cope with camping anymore Have to say , never thought about an oil cooler Anyone give me an idea how much I should expect one to put me back? And where I could get one , what I should look out for etc.

Cheers Spoggle

Comment

Tip. Some hire vans have Alco stabilisers fitted. If yours has (big red handle on hitch) then clean the grease off your tow ball or else it won't work. You also legally need at least one towing mirror fitted. Take it easy and practice reversing before you need to do it in anger. Leave plenty room in front of you, like Tony said, you are trying to brake 3 tonne plus.
                        The most important thing to remember is to make sure the fridge works, there's nothing worse than warm beer!

Take care and most all, enjoy it.

Cheers, Mick.
                        You can take my 4x4 from me when you prize the keys from my cold, dead hand.

Comment

got mine from the s$$$$py only paid about £15, couple of hours to fit ,it came of another toyota corrolla diesel with an auto box.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks - the general concensus seems to be that as long as I'm sensible I should be OK for the 3 towing trips without an ATF cooler, but fit one if and when we get our own caravan.
                            Any general tips for a complete caravanning novice would be much appreciated to stop me making a complete ar*e of myself!!
                            Keith

Comment

i have been a caravanner for 10+ years and am still a novice and still make a $$$ of myself, its part of the fun
                              just remember to attach the van onto the towbar proply coz you look a right plonker as you move off and the front of the van drops onto the deck.
                              tyres are a biggy make sure they are good (pressure and condition) take no chances,
                              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                              X