Air Con Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Con Fan

Now that summer is here decided to check out the a/c. Blows nice and cold even when engine is hot towing caravan. Fan however does not cut in so disconnected and put 12v supply to it. DEAD! Do I really need it? If so where do i get one?
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]ONLY STUPID PEOPLE THINK

My guess is you do need it especially If you tow, as the aircon rad is in front of your engine rad and will push hot air into the engine rad. Cooling can be marginal on some surfs so the hot air needs to be moved!!

Just a thought when you supplied a 12volt feed where did you earth from as the fan has a switched negative supply.

Cheers

Neil
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Is your air con rad under the engine, behind the bash plate? If so, and if you have done any off roading it might be full of mud.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

I used a seperate battery with the fan totally disconnected from the vehicle. Is that OK ?

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          Is your air con rad under the engine, behind the bash plate? If so, and if you have done any off roading it might be full of mud.
          Fan was in front of main rad ( 94 3ltr )

Comment

Originally posted by midalex
            I used a seperate battery with the fan totally disconnected from the vehicle. Is that OK ?

Yep!

If It dont work then, It's toast!

Neil

Comment

Maybe try the Toymota main dealer first, sometimes the prices are not tooo frightning, failing that post on the 'wanted' forum.

Just be aware the Toyota temp gauge is not linear and when towing and having the air con on, extra heat is quickly generated. I run an extra 'linear' temp gauge and the difference in actual temps are staggering!

I found that having the air con on and towing (admitedly a twin axle caravan of about 1550kg's on a hot day and long gradual incline) soon increased the temps to 100 degrees plus. I switched off the aircon and It dropped back down to something reasonable fairly quickly.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                Maybe try the Toymota main dealer first, sometimes the prices are not tooo frightning, failing that post on the 'wanted' forum.

Just be aware the Toyota temp gauge is not linear and when towing and having the air con on, extra heat is quickly generated. I run an extra 'linear' temp gauge and the difference in actual temps are staggering!

I found that having the air con on and towing (admitedly a twin axle caravan of about 1550kg's on a hot day and long gradual incline) soon increased the temps to 100 degrees plus. I switched off the aircon and It dropped back down to something reasonable fairly quickly.

Neil
                Thanks for that Neil. I tow a 1600kg twin so its a visit to the local toy dealer. Need to get it fixed ready for Spain on the 17th.
                Mick

Comment

Well at least your air con works Mick, have a thought for me at the moment with no aircon!!!

I had a rad modified to a 4 row core and It just kissed the air con rad when installed!! I didn't realise and It damaged both the air con rad and the newly modified engine rad!

Luckily It was an easy repair, but I havn't got round to regassing yet!

and now It's got hot !!!

Hope all goes ok for Spain

Cheers

Neil

Comment

any of you suffering ###### need an underslung air con rad off a 2.4? its gathering dust currently..
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Well at least your air con works Mick, have a thought for me at the moment with no aircon!!!

I had a rad modified to a 4 row core and It just kissed the air con rad when installed!! I didn't realise and It damaged both the air con rad and the newly modified engine rad!

Luckily It was an easy repair, but I havn't got round to regassing yet!

and now It's got hot !!!

Hope all goes ok for Spain

Cheers

Neil
                      I've been thinking about getting a recore too. Did you keep the in situ oil cooler or use a seperate one.

Comment

Oh jeez dont get me started on this one!

I kept the standard cooler(It's actually very efficient) and currently have 2, yes TWO extra atf coolers one mounted in the bash plate plumbed before the inbuilt one and one behind the plastic grill with a dedicated fan on it after the inbuilt one. The fan is manually operated with a 110 degree thermo switch as well (in case i fall asleep or anything )

I also have a oil temp gauge for the transmission fluid so I can monitor temps when towing!

paranoia has never been so complicated!

Oh and I have an overide of the a/c fan so It can help all the other little coolers in their quest for the big Chill!

And resiliconed my viscous fan!

Seriously, the main problem is low airflow and excessive heat and this seems to happen when towing up hills!

I fact even with all this kit I am still willing to bet I could get the transmission warning lamp to come on on the dash, on a very long incline in very hot weather when towing!
                        But I wont try It just yet!

Mind you, plenty of peeps on here dont have heat probs towing heavy loads, but on the other hand some do!

Cheers

Neil

Comment

Oh jeez dont get me started on this one!

I kept the standard cooler(It's actually very efficient) and currently have 2, yes TWO extra atf coolers one mounted in the bash plate plumbed before the inbuilt one and one behind the plastic grill with a dedicated fan on it after the inbuilt one. The fan is manually operated with a 110 degree thermo switch as well (in case i fall asleep or anything )

I also have a oil temp gauge for the transmission fluid so I can monitor temps when towing!

paranoia has never been so complicated!

Oh and I have an overide of the a/c fan so It can help all the other little coolers in their quest for the big Chill!

And resiliconed my viscous fan!

Seriously, the main problem is low airflow and excessive heat and this seems to happen when towing up hills!

I fact even with all this kit I am still willing to bet I could get the transmission warning lamp to come on on the dash, on a very long incline in very hot weather when towing!
                          But I wont try It just yet!

Mind you, plenty of peeps on here dont have heat probs towing heavy loads, but on the other hand some do!

Cheers

Neil
                          I'm sorry I asked. Off to sleep on it, if the heat demons will let me.
                          Thanks again
                          mick

Comment

Visited the TOY shop today. £134 for a new fan . delivery on the 14th, 3 days before heading off to Spain for a month going to mod so I can run it independently.

Comment

Working...
                            X