Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few problems...

Hello again chaps,

Well, I've had my Surf for a couple of months now, and I've fixed one or two nigly little problems but there are some that I can't seem to find the answers to on the forum or anywhere else for that matter.

First one is front wheel/steering wobble as I approach 60 [miles, not years]. Now i've seen posts with similar symptoms and solutions, but they don't quite apply to this case. Obviously the first thing I did was have the wheels balanced, and all was fine for about a week, then the problem reappeared.

The second problem may be related to the first. When I drive over a potholed road [of which there are many in this neck of the woods], I can here a rattle eminating from undeneath, but am unable to exactly locate it. I got under yesterday and checked for the obvious stuff such as lose exhaust etc, but couldn't find anything.

Number three is a bit strange. I was coasting down a slight hill [about a mile or so long] when the engine check light came on. I wasn't a steep hill, but steep enough to leave my foot off the accelerator [it's an auto, so no engine braking] and coast at 30-40. As soon as I put my foot back down at the bottom, the check light went off.

Any help would be appreciated,

TIA,

Shab.

P.S. I know probably this isn't the correct place to post, but without doing several posts I didn't know where else to put it.
    Last edited by Shab; 5 June 2006, 13:20.
    Carpe Biscalorum...

wheel wobble

Did you have your wheel alignment checked when you hade your wheels balanced? You say you have only had your surf a few months, have you noticed any uneven wear on your tyres? Just a thought that if you don`t know the history of the vechile there is a chance it has picked up some damage (track rod ends) when off roading.
    Can`t help with other problem of the "check engine" light.
    Good luck.

Comment

If you got the check light showing may I suggest initially you look here for error codes, and how you get to them.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Shab
        Hello again chaps,

Well, I've had my Surf for a couple of months now, and I've fixed one or two nigly little problems but there are some that I can't seem to find the answers to on the forum or anywhere else for that matter.

The second problem may be related to the first. When I drive over a potholed road [of which there are many in this neck of the woods], I can here a rattle eminating from undeneath, but am unable to exactly locate it. I got under yesterday and checked for the obvious stuff such as lose exhaust etc, but couldn't find anything.

TIA,

Shab.

P.S. I know probably this isn't the correct place to post, but without doing several posts I didn't know where else to put it.

i know you say you checked the obvious have you checked the front bump stops on the upper wishbones as mine rattles everytime i go over a bump and also give the anti roll bars a good shake aswell as my old surf had a rattle but couldnt find it until i gave the a.r.b a good shake.there was only slight movement but after changing the bushes it went
        HTOSH
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Chasharman, no, I didn't have the wheel alignment checked. I'll get it done and see if it helps.

UDTrev, thanks, I'll have a look around.

Richard, thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Cheers,

Shab.
          Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

as stated get an alignment done...also check that the idler arm/ pitman arm / inner and outer tie-rod ball-joints. I had quite a wobble on mine at times and once the front steering compomnets was done...voila no mo wobble at speed.
            Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Shab
              Number three is a bit strange. I was coasting down a slight hill [about a mile or so long] when the engine check light came on. I wasn't a steep hill, but steep enough to leave my foot off the accelerator [it's an auto, so no engine braking]
              ????

You can get engine braking with an auto by moving the gear select lever from D down into 2 or even 1 (don't try this at high speeds!!). In offroad situations you might need to drop into Low Range / 1 for maximum engine braking.

Can't explain your check engine light problem though. However I managed to boil my brake fluid once coming down Long Mountain in Powys by failing to use engine braking - just the brake pedal for 2 miles or so! When I got to the bottom the brake fluid had turned to steam and the car wouldn't stop....

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                ????

You can get engine braking with an auto by moving the gear select lever from D down into 2 or even 1 (don't try this at high speeds!!).
                Not sure how good it is for the auto box but it wont drop gears until it can redline in each.
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                X