Smokey Surf (E-Bay Item)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey Surf (E-Bay Item)

Hi, has anybody seen this item no. 4645061608. sorry can't give you a link, don't know how.
    Any Ideas as to what it could be?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Originally posted by plumb bob
    Hi, has anybody seen this item no. 4645061608. sorry can't give you a link, don't know how.
    Any Ideas as to what it could be?
    Hi Bob

Its a really great round specialy coated "BALL BEARING", if its the same as I have seen before, it's just something that you stuff in the small tube on the EGR valve, to block it up, but if its an old valve i could be stuck open anyway, as mine was (still is!), save yer money and use a cable tie, or find your own BALL BEARING!...

I blocked mine off at the manfold, but do a search on here for differing views, some to go for it, and those against.
    Last edited by spans; 4 June 2006, 19:44.

Comment

sounds like a ball bearing to me!!
      Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyboy
        sounds like a ball bearing to me!!
        Sounds like you would be better off saving your money and buying another pint!!

Ohh and to save time this is the LINK
        DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

EGR VALVE- NOT ERG VALVE YOU DUMB ASS!!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
            just out of interest what does that valve actually do? must be a reason for it...

btw no black smoke from mine at the mo....

Stu
            http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Don't suppose anyone can post a pickie of exactly which tube to block off on the ERG, or point me to a previous thread that does, as i'm not what you would call...overly mechanically minded...knowing me, i'd close off the wrong tube (fuel probably!! )
              Is it supposed to sound like this??

Comment

here ya go, this is the pic for the 2.4
                Attached Files
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Or, if you want to do it the really fun way:

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm

Did it this way to mine. Blocking the vacuum pipe made no difference
                  when I tried that, and not being sure whether the valve had jammed
                  open, closed or partially open, decided to do it the secure way.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                    hehe, another add that looks like it was written by a 10 year old.

And copyrighted pic taken from a Tamiya Surf model box.

I wonder how many people in the UK who havn't been on this forum know the UK 4Runner doesn't have a EGR (sorry, thats a ERG!! ) valve!
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

conflicting info

right techie engine people....

I've read that the 'GRE' ( ) valve ensures exhaust gasses are mixed with the air intake to reduce O2 in thus reducing emmissions of NOx. Ive also read that this causes hotspots on the head as the gas is hot and localised as it enters the system... Ive also read the combustion temp is lower, keeping the head cooler. ive also read that blocking it off causes the temp to increase in the head as combustion is better and that the lack of exhaust gas in the mix means that the head is cooler... DOH!! its all conflicting ish.

Does anyone know / have evidence of the effects on temperature / head disintegration?? And does it improve power / efficiency as the fuel burns with more O2? and where does I plug me Nitrox in?
                      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                        hehe, another add that looks like it was written by a 10 year old.

And copyrighted pic taken from a Tamiya Surf model box.

I wonder how many people in the UK who havn't been on this forum know the UK 4Runner doesn't have a EGR (sorry, thats a ERG!! ) valve!
                        Maybe this guy's quite clever after all......anyone with a modicum of intelligence would immediatly do a Google search on 'EGR VAVLE' and find all the information they wanted for free- had he given it it's correct name?

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster

Does anyone know / have evidence of the effects on temperature / head disintegration?? And does it improve power / efficiency as the fuel burns with more O2? and where does I plug me Nitrox in?
                          The only people who can 100% answer this are the Toyota techs who know the combustion temps the engine is designed to run at, what it runs at with the EGR and without.

UK 4Runners have no EGR, but they have a different fuel pump (non-EFI), so mixture ratios will be determined differently.

Taking out the inert gas (exhaust gases) will definatly give a performance/Co2 emission improvement, verses a rise in combustion temps and NoX levels.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
                            right techie engine people....

I've read that the 'GRE' ( ) valve ensures exhaust gasses are mixed with the air intake to reduce O2 in thus reducing emmissions of NOx. Ive also read that this causes hotspots on the head as the gas is hot and localised as it enters the system... Ive also read the combustion temp is lower, keeping the head cooler. ive also read that blocking it off causes the temp to increase in the head as combustion is better and that the lack of exhaust gas in the mix means that the head is cooler... DOH!! its all conflicting ish.

One thing that I would further add, not technically specific per se,
                            is that after whipping the EGR pipe off and finding the black liquid
                            sludge buildup inside it, I'm personally willing to risk slightly higher
                            temps if it keeps that $$$$ from being recirculated.

Comment

Working...
                            X