Yet another route gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another route gone

After reading a piece in our local freebee rag it is with great sadness that i must share this information with you all
    http://www.westpress.co.uk/displayNo...=sidebarsearch
    www.daemon4x4.org

so, i could drive a 2wd vehicle down there but not a 4x4??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

This is the response I got when I asked about it...

<Quote>

Thank you for your email.

From 2nd May 2006 a new category of right of way called "restricted byway" came into force replacing rights of way previously known as "road used as a public path". Restricted byways can be used by walkers, cyclists, horse riders and drivers of horse-drawn carriages, but not by recreational vehicles such as motorcycles and 4 by 4s. This change has considerably reduced the amount of The Ridgeway that can legally be used by recreational vehicles.

As a result, recreational vehicles can now legally only use the following sections of The Ridgeway (however, it should be noted that some farmers legally use other sections to access their land with agricultural vehicles):

West of the River Thames
      * 6 miles from the start of the Trail at Overton Hill to just west of Barbury Castle
      * 4½ miles from just west of Ogbourne St George to south of Liddington Castle
      * Less than 2 miles from Fox Hill south of Hinton Parva to Bishopstone
      * 4 miles from north of Compton to Streatley

East of the River Thames
      * 1 mile on the edge of Princes Risborough east from the Wycombe Road

As this new legislation has large implications for The Ridgeway we ask that users bear with us whilst our information sources, and signage on the ground, is updated. We are also awaiting guidance from the government as to how restricted byways should be legally signed. We aim to make very clear to vehicle users where they can legally drive in the next few weeks/months.

I hope this information is useful.

<Quote>

Basically, they have rushed this in, but the signage isn't up yet.... so if you don't know about it and there aren't any signs... not too grey ...but you might get away with it...

Comment

Working...
      X