Infernal Combustion Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infernal Combustion Engine

Well it had to happen didn't it,.........especially now just after the expense of Christmas.Looks like the cylinder head or gasket has gone.
    I think it's still in the early stages of destroying itself but it all started about a two weks ago.I'd been out doing the Crimbo pressie run, I pulled up outside a recipient's house and left the engine running while the good lady popped in to do the honours when I was engulfed in a cloud of steam from the exhaust.I first thought that it was because it was a frosty night but the size of the cloud was massive.I kinda shrugged it off not wanting to believe the worst, but went outside to investigate,I could definately feel wetness in the exhaust gasses.
    A hasty run home, just a mile or so was done and the whole episode was forgotten till the morning.It was then the water level was checked and found to be only slightly low, believe you me I've been keeping an eye on it vigilantly.It was duly topped up and on I went with the last minute shopping errands,I did see the odd puff of white emission but it was damn cold and I was looking at other cars' tailpipes to compare and I thought it was comparible.I was on call with my work for Christmas week (with the local leccy board) so the Surf didn't move for those days,but come New Years Eve I was out foraging for buffet food for the party we were throwing for our friends, when a run to Tesco happened. I rolled up to the carpark when an Asian gentleman was frantically waving his arms and walking over to me with some haste.I immediately thought he was coming over to interrogate me about my beautiful Surf because it always attracts attention.Anyway before I got to say hello to him he was gesturing towards the front nearside wheel and in a thick Cockney accent said "you just squirted a s##t load of water from there".
    The bonnet was popped and and levels were checked,luckily I had a jar with the correct mix to top up in the boot.(forewarned is forearmed)
    It took about 3litres and before I topped it up I could still hear the pressure being released from the expansion bottle.By the way I did let it cool down befor topping it up.There's no mayo in the oil but it's only a matter of time I suppose.
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment,do I spend the money on replacing the head or changing the car?I've also accuired a huge bang noise from the front offside suspension unit when I use the brakes in anger.All the money I've saved for the suspension lift will go on engine repair,which is a bit of an arse.
    Does this sound familiar to the ones that have had their cylinder heads go?Well looks like I'll be contacting Milners next week for the appropriate bits,have already checked out the head replacement thread which is very informative.

I would like to keep the Surf considering the condition it's in (by the way it's a 91 2.4td with 120000kms on it)
    It may be a barganing point to any potential Surf buyer to adjust the price acordingly for those around the 100000km mark because it seems that this is the s##t or bust mark.

Oh woe is me!!

Ian

Check out UK cyinderheads for the parts, and DIY it if you can, could get sorted for under £800. Still well worth keeping the truck, and if you do it, it will be worth more if you ever sell it as it will have good head then.

Plenty on advise on here if you get stuck.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Check out UK cyinderheads for the parts, and DIY it if you can, could get sorted for under £800. Still well worth keeping the truck, and if you do it, it will be worth more if you ever sell it as it will have good head then.

Plenty on advise on here if you get stuck.
      Yeah NEW head ready to bolt on from UKCylinder heads + Head gasket + gasket set & stretch bolts. I Got five new belts for mine while it was stripped down from Milners.

By your description I think the head has gone, worth getting it pressure checked to make sure but I think it is the head.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Working...
      X