Turbine will this work on a surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbine will this work on a surf?

found this the other day.... anyone got any experience on these or have one fitted?

http://www.hiclone.co.uk

this is the write up...

Hiclone vigorously swirls the air to create a cyclone vortex effect as the air is sucked into the engine, improving volumetric efficiency and exhaust gas scavenging which improves mileage, increases power & torque and reduces emissions. Easily fitted in minutes - no skills required. Buy 2 Hiclones and get £6.00 off.
    MORE MPGStart saving on your vehicles fuel costs by as much as 25% - fight back against high fuel prices!
    MORE POWER & TORQUE
    More torque and power; a smoother quieter engine.
    LESS EMISSIONS
    Do your bit for the planet! - a profound reduction in hydrocarbon emissions, in particular smoke on diesel engines.

Please note that our vehicle application size fitment list for Hiclone is continually being developed - you may be required to supply more information about your vehicle once you have placed your order. You will be contacted prior to dispatch in such cases. Read all about Hiclone at: http://www.hiclone.co.uk
    Customer testimonials: Read here
    http://www.manicgamer.net

load of old tosh. still, it wont do any harm!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Getting smoother air into any engine will always help it breath better. Looking at the system its a more advance than your every day K&N induction kit or even replacement element. The key to any of these systems is getting good cold dense air into the engine. Warm or hot air wont help at all, most of the time makes it work worse.
      The claims that it makes regarding better MPG are in theory are ok. Getting better air makes the engine more efficient, ie more MPG. Then the engine working better more grunt and less emission all go hand in hand.
      K&N and all these manufactors claim the same kind of thing, all sounds jolly good. Cheap to fit and save you money. In practise they make little to no difference that you can notice.
      i like it muddy!

Comment

My tuppence worth on this.

Getting more air in will not improve mpg. There is an ideal mixture of air / fuel for a correct burn. More air = more fuel required for correct burn.

More air and more fuel (assuming that the mixture can be burned completely in the cycle) will give more power, but shouldn't give better mpg.

A generic cone filter *should* allow the system to breath more easily, but its important to feed it with cold air as hot air (as per engine bay) is less dense, and therefore its possible for a car with a cone filter to actually perform worse than one with a standard (well designed) air system.

I suppose, theoretically, because a shorted, less restrictive air inlet via a cone fed with cold air could give an extremely tiny increase in mpg and / or power simply because the engine doesn't have to suck as hard, but I doubt this is going to be anything like the 4-6 bhp as the max power types would have us believe. (I have a huge 6" x 12" cone filter off a modified MR2 Turbo that I am going to try some time, when I work out a sensible cold air feed, so will report back on the effect some time)

I reckon mpg-wise, nothing is going to have much effect really as the biggest killer is the weight of the vehicle, and it's aerodynamics. 2 tons plus of housebrick shape is NEVER going to be cheap to run.

Power wise, a cone filter, or a device that changes the airflow is going to have minimal effect without work to the fuelling system, exhaust, turbo pressure etc etc, and then you've ended up with performance potential that cant be exploited by the chassis / brakes because it never designed for it.

Hmmm, that was more like 50 pence worth...
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

COLD DENSE AIR......thats what we need...... had a zed thou kawasaki few years back, in cold misty weather it used to go like a trojan, didn,t like hot summer air at all.
          was even thinking of plumbing an airway from air-con to air intake on my truck to see what would happen..... any thoughts.....

carl....
          gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

Originally posted by surfcarl
            COLD DENSE AIR......thats what we need...... had a zed thou kawasaki few years back, in cold misty weather it used to go like a trojan, didn,t like hot summer air at all.
            was even thinking of plumbing an airway from air-con to air intake on my truck to see what would happen..... any thoughts.....

carl....
            think you'd offset any power increase of the cold air by having the air con pump going.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Don't forget the synergism between a Hiclone and polishing your baby...

The combined effect will take ten years off your face.

eight cat owners can't be wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                Don't forget the synergism between a Hiclone and polishing your baby...

The combined effect will take ten years off your face.

eight cat owners can't be wrong...
                LMAO nice...... well that kinda answered my Q, i wont be gettin one of those in the near future.. just ordered a fuel cat from Philiip... Woo hoo new toys!!

Comment

"...but since fitting the 2 Hiclones and the Hyperflow air filter, my Disco has a new lease of life. More power across the range means that I can now overtake other vehicles and cruise effortlessly up the motorway. A slight improvement in mpg of about 5% is also very welcome..."
                  turned a landrover into something worthwhile for road use!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Although having said that...

One of the hangover monthly magazines has been testing these things, and although sceptical to begin with... claim it does actually work...

But as others have said, changing the air/fuel mixture will upset things... Making the combustion more efficient, and the rolling and air resistance lower would be of more benefit.

PS. Making the farmers of this country produce bio fuels (Rape Seed Oil), that customs would decide not to tax, that would make my baby purr, and me very happy... I suppose there is always hope. Again, a rather damning report in 'that' monthly magazine about how if you invest in a fuel processing plant, you will attract (is that really the right word to use?) a lower taxing.
                    Last edited by AndyLala; 29 May 2006, 16:43.

Comment

Made me chortle when they suggest putting one before the turbo. Do they really think that the slightly swirly airflow will be intact after its been squashed to 8 or so psi by a... turbine! (and do they not think that air being squirted through valves at 8 psi *wont* be turbulent anyway? Muppetry!)

A gimmick with no real scientific basis, just like 'electric turbos', and dare I say it, 'fuel cats'

(No offence meant to those who believe they make a difference BTW)

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        Made me chortle when they suggest putting one before the turbo. Do they really think that the slightly swirly airflow will be intact after its been squashed to 8 or so psi by a... turbine! (and do they not think that air being squirted through valves at 8 psi *wont* be turbulent anyway? Muppetry!)

A gimmick with no real scientific basis, just like 'electric turbos', and dare I say it, 'fuel cats'

(No offence meant to those who believe they make a difference BTW)
                        no offence taken... i just ordered a fuel cat and i am going to fully test the mpg etc for a full tank before and also for a full tank after.. i will post the results for it.... many people who i have spoken to rate them... getting about another 28 - 30 mpt its worth a try for me.

STu

Comment

I always reckon that after laying out wedge on something like that, I'd be inclined to believe it works too! Anyway, let us know how you get on.

Reminds me of when I worked in design for a major brit hifi manufacturer. The amount of people who would spend hundreds of pounds on fancy polarised high purity copper cables was stunning. No measurable difference at audio frequencies, though some of the more esoteric ones presented some very dodgy loads to some amplifiers and did make a huge difference - like blowing up said expensive amplifiers!

Comment

What is a fuel cat?
                            i like it muddy!

Comment

have a look at this thread m8... it will answer some Q's and there is a site to go see...

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X