Reasonable tire(tyre) size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable tire(tyre) size

I recently purchased a 1990 surf and although I had thought of replacing the tires soon I have now discovered that I don't have a choice due to some nasty cracking on 1 tire. I have 30" BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A's on it now and was thinking of putting some 33" tires on with a 2" body lift to accomodate the bigger diameter, but I'm wondering if the surf will have enough power to push them. I don't really want to alter the gearing because I want to retain the ability to cruise down the hiways. Would it be wiser to go with 31" tires and no lift or alterations to the gearing? Also are there any other good tires worth looking at that will be good for a mix of paved and offroad, as this is my everyday vehicle.
    Thanks for the help, I'm loving my new surf.

By the way, this site is awsome! I'm so glad I found it.

Mine came with 33" and i have had no problems with them. You do not have to change the gearing however i dont think a 2" lift will be enough to run 33"s, a minimum 4" i believe but someone else will clear that up.
    33" do look the nuts however
    Kite Surf

Comment

Ya I've been wondering about the gearing as mine seems to already be geared quite low (not sure if thats just how they come or if it was altered before I bought it.) Doing 100km/h (I guess thats about 60mph) on flat hiway my engine revs at about 2700-2800rpm, is that typical with these trucks? As for the lift I think a 2" would be fine because the 30"s fit fine and 33" is only another 1.5" higher in the wheel-well.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfin' Canada
        Ya I've been wondering about the gearing as mine seems to already be geared quite low (not sure if thats just how they come or if it was altered before I bought it.) Doing 100km/h (I guess thats about 60mph) on flat hiway my engine revs at about 2700-2800rpm, is that typical with these trucks? As for the lift I think a 2" would be fine because the 30"s fit fine and 33" is only another 1.5" higher in the wheel-well.
        I think they say 4" lift for 33's as they will rub on full lock else
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi, Revs to speed sounds about right, same as mine anyway (2.4)
          Do they do a 31 1/2" and strike a happy medium?????
          Last edited by POPEYE; 28 May 2006, 20:27.
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Ya I ended up putting on a set of 31x10.5 BFG AllTerrain T/A's and they are working out well so far. Only got stuck in the mud once yet but anything would have!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
              Hi, Revs to speed sounds about right, same as mine anyway (2.4)
              Do they do a 31 1/2" and strike a happy medium?????
              265/75R16 comes out at 31.6" tall
              235/85R16 comes out at 31.7" tall

Hmmm...

Although I still feel that 40/13.50R16 is perfectly reasonable on a 16" rim...

http://www.procomptires.com/xt3plyapps.htm

Comment

To run 33"'s the best (& cheapest) option is 2" bodylift + 2" suspension lift. The suspension lift need only consist of a set of longer rear springs plus tweak the front torsion bars up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                X