Essential off road gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential off road gear?

tis the season to get covered in mud and drown the engine. so what do you think i need to get my hands on <order from work> in terms of strops and d-links??

and where are the best hook up points front and rear for dragging it out the mud??

TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

should have some tow points on the ends of the chassis.

just get a decent strap with a shackle on each end... one should be big enough to fit over a tow hitch.

kinetic ropes are good, if you've got the money!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

wheres the best place to hook up on the rear without a tow hitch?? got a couple of 3 metre straps, used them last night when i got dragged out of the swamp on the moors lol
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Take a good look at your chassis rails, there is a hole at the tend of em, one on each side.

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

agree with da slug, a kinetic rope is a must.

i attach mine to the back and sling it in the rear window before i start, because trying to attatch it when you are up to your axles in mud isnt fun.

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
            agree with da slug, a kinetic rope is a must.

i attach mine to the back and sling it in the rear window before i start, because trying to attatch it when you are up to your axles in mud isnt fun.

cheers scotty
            sounds good, where from and roughly how much mate?
            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

http://www.firstfouroffroad.co.uk/towing.htm have a look on there....scroll down

Comment

yip thats where i got mine from.

i got the one with the bridle and the 2 shackles.

they are worth the money, if you have not used one before you will be shocked at how good they are.

cheers scotty

Comment

Alway keep a digging tool in the truck .....Spade or if you want something small on of the army collapsible ones
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                    yip thats where i got mine from.

i got the one with the bridle and the 2 shackles.

they are worth the money, if you have not used one before you will be shocked at how good they are.

cheers scotty
                    You'll also be shocked when a badly attached tow point comes through your rear window and takes your head off too.
                    If your gonna bye a kinetic rope i strongly advise you do a bit of research first. they are good, but in inexperienced hands they can be deadly!!
                    Last edited by Greebo; 27 May 2006, 04:38.
                    mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
                      If your gonna bye a kinetic rope i strongly advise you do a bit of research first. they are good, but in inexperienced hands they can be deadly!!
                      really??... how??

worse than a sharpened milky bar?
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i have heard stories of a kinetic rope fliping the car being towed onto its side.

you have to make sure you are staight in front of the car you are towing or straight behind the car towing you.

but i thought that was just common sense.

cheers scotty

Comment

I have to admit to having one of these and I like it !
                          You do have to be very careful tho'
                          See this recent thread from mudclub

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic...t=kinetic+rope
                          Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
                            I have to admit to having one of these and I like it !
                            You do have to be very careful tho'
                            See this recent thread from mudclub

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic...t=kinetic+rope

Thats the problem, if any part of the tow point lets go or the shackle gives or in this case part of the chassis (just goes to show the amount of pull) then you have large lumps of metal flying about at very high speeds. these things were made for recovering armoured vehicles!
                            i agree they are good and have been recovered with them on quite a few occasions. all i am saying is, be extra carfull in checking the tow points and dont let anyone stand anywere near a recovery. and dont just loop it over a tow ball like ive seen some folk do.
                            mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X