Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic glue

tried to fix broken plastic part on sunroof
    i used araldite rapid - and left it for ~3 hrs.
    maybe i didnt leave it long enough.
    but broke again pretty quickly.
    I had pinned in with nails fitted into drilled holes, but nails were not a snug fit.
    part takes quite a bit of strain - any other glues that might be better on plastic than araldite?
    not sure how good loctite superglue would be

need to find some fine ~1mm screws, might work better than nails to pin it
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Get yourself down to your nearest builders merchants, (not the diy places) and ask for superglue for building plastics, or upvc glue. It's an Everbuild product, and is industrial grade. It bonds in half the time as normal super glue so take care!!!

There's a pic here...

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-324231/e...ngth-50gm.html
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 22 May 2006, 09:32.

Comment

cheers Vince

I will grab some of that,

bet I stick my fingers to the part though!
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

cyanoacrylate glue is what you need... it's the super in superglue... get an activator spray and it dries instantly and you can build it up...

i used it to glue the bonnet prop thing on an old car and it held perfectly!

it uses water to cure instead of solvent evaporation so it doesn't take hours to bond.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
          tried to fix broken plastic part on sunroof
          i used araldite rapid - and left it for ~3 hrs.
          maybe i didnt leave it long enough.
          but broke again pretty quickly.
          I had pinned in with nails fitted into drilled holes, but nails were not a snug fit.
          part takes quite a bit of strain - any other glues that might be better on plastic than araldite?
          not sure how good loctite superglue would be

need to find some fine ~1mm screws, might work better than nails to pin it

Not sure if this will help you for your situation, but did have similar problem with some plastic, used Nail glue (ladies use it for a reason) fantastic result, just keep it off the paintwork..

hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            cyanoacrylate glue is what you need... it's the super in superglue... get an activator spray and it dries instantly and you can build it up...

i used it to glue the bonnet prop thing on an old car and it held perfectly!

it uses water to cure instead of solvent evaporation so it doesn't take hours to bond.

Good advice,

To build on this............. you could go to a model shop, get some Yellow or green ZAP, they will know what it is (basically Cyno as mentioned above) and ask for Kicker (basically activator mentioned above) yellow Zap is slower curing giving you time to adjust things its also thicker so wont run all over the place. Green Zap is virtually instant without the kicker but is very thin and runny. I build model aircraft with yellow zap which I can trust with glow engines not to fall apart in flight.

Advantage to taking this route it that the bottles are a good size and you will have loads left when the job is done. Cost about a tenner for the pair.

Al.
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

i have been getting some super glue from a local car boot its only a quid and its pretty good... although we have used some stuff from rs components that is for plastics and its like superglue on steroids with an attitude problem..... cant remember wot its called though
              CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Working...
              X