What to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for?

I`ve owned a Suzuki, Landrover and currently a car, but am very tempted to revert back to a 4X4. I`ve seen a few Surf`s around and am very tempted to buy one. I know this question has probably been asked a hundred time`s before, but what should I look for?
    I would probably be looking for a 94/95 ish model. Not knowing a lot about Surf`s I was wondering if rust was a problem on early models? And which to go for, the 2.4 or 3.0? I know I ask a lot of questions but any help would be most appreciated.

Happy New Year.

Originally posted by sjd76
    I`ve owned a Suzuki, Landrover and currently a car, but am very tempted to revert back to a 4X4. I`ve seen a few Surf`s around and am very tempted to buy one. I know this question has probably been asked a hundred time`s before, but what should I look for?
    I would probably be looking for a 94/95 ish model. Not knowing a lot about Surf`s I was wondering if rust was a problem on early models? And which to go for, the 2.4 or 3.0? I know I ask a lot of questions but any help would be most appreciated.

Happy New Year.
    Have a look here for some info on what to look for:
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

As for the rust there is no problem in this department, as long as its a new import.
    They are not undersealed so first job is to underseal it, waxoyl is good, just spray on. Or you can get the brush out and use the good old black stuff. If its been in this country for any length of time and hasn't been undersealed then personaly I would steer clear of it.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

How to speak the speak:
      A 1st gen surf is an '84-'89
      A 2nd gen surf is an '89-'95
      A 3rd gen surf is a '96 - '03

You can get surf engines in petrol but they are uncommon.
      When it comes to diesels like we have, they were all 2.4's until '93 and all 3 ltr's from then on. Some in the know have a thing about EFI (electronic fuel injection) and this was common on all surfs from '91. Thats down to the beauty of a fuel pump with throttle cable direct to it on non-EFI's.

2.4 engines are the 2LT or the 2LTE (E indicating EFI). They are a great engine with plenty of power BUT have a name for the head cracking after ten years or so. This was identified as a problem by Toyota Japan and a recall occurred to fit a better designed head. Knowing whether the one you are sitting in was given back is now impossible. Might be worth steering clear of them and getting a 3 ltr or getting a 2.4 that you can confirm has had a new head fitted or you could do what I did and take a community chest.

The 3.0 ltrs share the same engine as some Land Cruisers, its a 1KZTE
      and is a fine engine. 3rd gen surfs (from '96) share the same
      chassis as a Land Cruiser Colorado.

Below is a great article and gives an idea of what is available out there although engine-wise it deals only with American market petrol engines so ignore that aspect see here

Good luck and go for it, Jim

Comment

Working...
      X