L*ndR*ver Fest, Great Driffield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L*ndR*ver Fest, Great Driffield

The Range Rover was not ready in time, so its owners were treated to a tour of the L*ndR*ver Fest off-road course in the Surf.

Discovering that this had red sections ("proper Land Rovers") and green sections (FreeLoaders), we decided always to follow the red. There was a little bit of tow-bar banging, but all in all a pretty easy drive. Apart from stopping to watch stuck vehicles such as a road-tyred Discovery in 18" of gloop (tee-hee), and a Defender that seemed to have hydrauliced (not nice), it didn't stop once.

All was well, that is, until the final mudhole. These Surfs need a little more thought put into them. I discovered mud on the inside of the air intake and chronic overheating on the way home. Anything above 40mph sent the temp gauge soaring, as did hills. It took 15 minutes at a jetwash and some contortionist moves by my friends to get the worst of the mud out of the rad, and I'm going to have to strip the front off and jetwash it again this weekend to be on the safe side.

Still, it didn't have trouble where the "proper" Land Rovers did so I'd count that as a point for us.

The Range Rover, incidentally, was got running on Sunday morning. It's running an ex-Overfinch 4.6l engine with early-80s carbs and distributor, putting the power through a 3-speed TorqueFlite auto. It's not yet been tuned, but wheelspin is already a problem on dry tarmac. I can't wait to try it off-road

Originally posted by NFC
    The Range Rover was not ready in time, so its owners were treated to a tour of the L*ndR*ver Fest off-road course in the Surf.

Discovering that this had red sections ("proper Land Rovers") and green sections (FreeLoaders), we decided always to follow the red. There was a little bit of tow-bar banging, but all in all a pretty easy drive. Apart from stopping to watch stuck vehicles such as a road-tyred Discovery in 18" of gloop (tee-hee), and a Defender that seemed to have hydrauliced (not nice), it didn't stop once.

All was well, that is, until the final mudhole. These Surfs need a little more thought put into them. I discovered mud on the inside of the air intake and chronic overheating on the way home. Anything above 40mph sent the temp gauge soaring, as did hills. It took 15 minutes at a jetwash and some contortionist moves by my friends to get the worst of the mud out of the rad, and I'm going to have to strip the front off and jetwash it again this weekend to be on the safe side.

Still, it didn't have trouble where the "proper" Land Rovers did so I'd count that as a point for us.

The Range Rover, incidentally, was got running on Sunday morning. It's running an ex-Overfinch 4.6l engine with early-80s carbs and distributor, putting the power through a 3-speed TorqueFlite auto. It's not yet been tuned, but wheelspin is already a problem on dry tarmac. I can't wait to try it off-road

Did we happen to get water over the headlights ?

Guess where the air intake is ?

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      Did we happen to get water over the headlights ?

Guess where the air intake is ?

Trev
      We got mud on the wiper-shafts. It was a little, ahem, deeper than I was expecting. Gosh.

It ate my numberplate as well

Comment

were the no food stands...?

very poor show...

Comment

Originally posted by NFC
          We got mud on the wiper-shafts. It was a little, ahem, deeper than I was expecting. Gosh.

It ate my numberplate as well
          Somewhere in the mire of Woodlands 4x4 centre is my prized enamel British Field Sports Society grille badge that was torn off by the gloopy stuff, really choked about that.
          Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
          X