yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to Surfs - thinking of buying, what do i need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to Surfs - thinking of buying, what do i need to know?

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of buying an 2.4 ssr-x; 140000km, looks in good nick except the chrome is rusted on the a-frame and bumpers. no apparent dinks/rust, good interior cloth.

had a passenger ride in it just now, seemed quiet and smooth, but didnt have much pull away speed. (i'm used to a shed of an old 250td merc auto, 200k miles and it was about the same....) from what i could see. yes i know i should drive it to get a feel...

my question.... what should i be looking out for in particular?

any help appreciated

andy
    heather_and_andy@hotmail.com

p.s. its metallic burgundy - can I get it resprayed a nice green ???
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Only one bit of advice. There's loads around so don't buy the first one you see. I personally wouldn't buy one with rusty bumpers as they are pretty bl00dy expensive to replace!

Where in Worcester are you? Try Worcester Rd motors. He usually has some. It would give you an idea of what to expect.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

cheers!

i will check out worcester rd moters, good idea.

i just saw this one parked up a few doors from me, so had a nose around.

i thought that rusty bumpers = probable rust elsewhere... but i saw NO evidence, however its raining and i didnt look too closely.

so, what price bumpers??? we talking 50 squid or a whole trawlerfull????

thanks for the reply.

i *really* want a green, blue or grey one!!!

by the way, whats the family tree? whats the diff between a 4runner, 1st gen, ssr-x, etc????? and how do you tell????

cheers

andy

Comment

Lots of people on here know more about the family tree than I do!

I'd agree, blue is the best colour. See mine

I'd personally go for a 3.0. More power, not much different fuel economy, and less chance of head problems.

Another place to have a look is that garage near the railway bridge about a mile before you come into Kidderminster on the Stourport / Kiddy road. There's a white V6 4-Runner in Malvern, but its a bit pricey I'm told. Looks like a nice one though.
        Attached Files
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

rear bumper ends are approx £70 a side plus vat and p&p
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

what about surf and rust then???

so.. about 500 inc to replace all chrome?

Anyone have any experience of rust then? if the bumpers are rusty, does that, from experience, indicate rust could be a problem underneath as well??

AFAIK, this one has not been off-roaded.
            Last edited by legendgamesmaster; 17 May 2006, 21:30. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster

so.. about 500 inc to replace all chrome?

Anyone have any experience of rust then? if the bumpers are rusty, does that, from experience, indicate rust could be a problem underneath as well??

AFAIK, this one has not been off-roaded.

andy
              just because the bumper is rusty it dont mean there is any more anywhere else. you can get the bumper ends from www.milneroffroad.co.uk.
              from what i have seen it is only the ends that have been rusty i havent seen one yet that the complete rear bumper has gone rusty
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

get a green 3.0 td you wont go wrong with that
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Have a look at the codlord's site for general advice http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

get a 3L, I know 3 people who have had 2.4's and have all had head trouble!
                    Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

I have to say all the newly imported stuff I have looked at has been spotless on the underside its only when they get on our well salted roads does the rust appear and as you will see with all the wealth of knowledge these guys on the site have ,you can easily sort a good rust prevention treatment, God that waxoyl smells and tastes yuck!
                      Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

geta 3.0?? money tight, mate - its a 2.4 or nowt!

The 2.4 ssr-x i am looking at is a J reg vehicle, in good nick - what should i be looking at paying? 144000 km on the clock.

I appreciate all your tips guys, nice friendly bunch you lot!

Comment

Hi everyone... jus thought i would pop in an say hi....

I just ordered a jap import surf 3.0 ssrx ltd edition (in green over silver) from a company called chequered flag in leeds... its a 95 / 96 gonna be registered an N mint condition 73,000k on the clock so low mileage, nice peeps to deal with all in all its costin £6,500 (with some extras....) if anyone wants the number of em let me know...

They have a few in stock ranging from £5,500 to £6,995 all really nice clean rust free models...

Reet excited its goin through the motions at the mo getting it registered plus a major service, should be getting it next week...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by amethyst; 18 May 2006, 13:41.
                          http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

I suppose a J reg with a bit of rust on it is worth about 2 grand or something. Surf prices seem to be produced by some kind of random number generator...

If money's tight and it's a 2.4, probably best to check it's had the head upgraded and get the receipt. There are a couple in the for sale section.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
                              Hi everyone... jus thought i would pop in an say hi....

I just ordered a jap import surf 3.0 ssrx ltd edition (in green over silver) from a company called chequered flag in leeds... its a 95 / 96 gonna be registered an N mint condition 73,000k on the clock so low mileage, nice peeps to deal with all in all its costin £6,500 (with some extras....) if anyone wants the number of em let me know...

They have a few in stock ranging from £5,500 to £6,995 all really nice clean rust free models...

Reet excited its goin through the motions at the mo getting it registered plus a major service, should be getting it next week...
                              same as my baby , lovely colour, nice
                              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Working...
                              X