Auto or Manual ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoebelala
    Is there something wrong with yours? I live out in the sticks and can drive for miles on country lanes knowing exactly what she is going to do just before she does it. Bags of torque and you can switch overdrive off if its up and down on the hilly stuff. I have a manual Laguna at my disposal as well as the wifes sporty little number and I always take the surf.........
    maybe cos i don't drive it much...
    it's good for pulling stuff but it's the pause on kickdown that bugs me.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      maybe cos i don't drive it much...
      it's good for pulling stuff but it's the pause on kickdown that bugs me.

Ah.... Could be lack of use then. I rarely use the kickdown but when called upon it works OK.

I tend to drive the surf in a most relaxed manner at very low revs and let the speed build up. I went mad in it the other week when the company was paying for the fuel but normally just steady away country driving.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Ive said this before but I just dont get the point of manual. Had autos for nigh on 10 yrs now and have no plans to change back.
        Ive got a theory that its a bit of a boy racer cum macho thing. and that people who prefer manual are either scared of change or think autos are for girls and they,ll be less of a man if theyre not moving that stick around all the time.
        Auto, every time.

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

Personally,both have their benefits. If your doing a lot of stop-start driving then auto is good, pulling a trailer is smoother and you have torque lower down.

Manual you have a little more control and lower gearing? in some instances if using off-road [reversing down a hill with auto sometimes can be worrying as the engine tries to drive u back down]
          Gaz

Comment

Cheers Guys

I have been in touch with the garage ,unfortunately the stock is in the country but won't be at the garage for another week and then they need a week to do cam belt change etc.So I'm putting extra socks on ,That clutch don't half feel heavy !
            Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

I think it does depend on what you are doing with it. Manuals should be a tad more economical and allegedly quicker off the mark if you want to toe it. I've just come from a manual Nissan Patrol and as my work will be in London for the next year, I'm loving the auto. Also, the Surf flies off the line compared to the laaaaaazzzzzyyyy 2.8 and gearing in the Nissan.

Comment

Originally posted by Loobs View Post
                I think it does depend on what you are doing with it. Manuals should be a tad more economical and allegedly quicker off the mark if you want to toe it. I've just come from a manual Nissan Patrol and as my work will be in London for the next year, I'm loving the auto. Also, the Surf flies off the line compared to the laaaaaazzzzzyyyy 2.8 and gearing in the Nissan.
                Quick off the mark? compared to replying to posts that are 6 years old, then no.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

For a surf I'd go auto any time, for anything sporty, a manual.

The Toyota Auto boxes are some of the best about.
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Mines a manual.

Wish I'd bought an auto though.

Comment

Vintage threads rule!

My first Auto too.....and I always said I wouldnt have one.

I've been totally converted now though. I think if I bought another sports car, I'd have to have a manual, but for a cruiser or a big lumberer like a 4x4 the Auto rules! I can even spin the tyres up with the V6.
                      Last edited by Shaft120; 11 January 2012, 14:20.
                      Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaft120 View Post
                        Vintage threads rule!

My first Auto too.....and I always said I wouldnt have one.

I've been totally converted now though. I think if I bought another sports car, I'd have to have a manual, but for a cruiser or a big lumberer like a 4x4 the Auto rules! I can even spin the tyres up with the V6.
                        The 3ltr diesel spins the rear tyre's up no problem!!!
                        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                          The 3ltr diesel spins the rear tyre's up no problem!!!
                          My 2.4 does this also, on wet grass
                          Non consternationes.

Comment

Hey, I'm new here... some people get a rollocking for not searching, others for searching... In today's cant win section... moi.

I'm not the only one though.

Comment

It seems like only yesterday

I changed to Auto, now I am worried about going back to Manual
                              Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

How's the foot, had plenty of time to heal

Comment

Working...
                                X