egr conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egr conversion

opinons sought with regards to the exhuast gas recylcling devise i was given free with a owners manual[cd-rom version],its a small stainless steel ball bearing about 3mm in diametre which i am encourged to insert into a small bore breather pipe between the egr device and its filter.
    the technical print out which is supplied with it cliams that it will improve low end grunt[wife looking forward to that]increase mph[oh yeah]reduce black smoke at start up and on gear changes[can all this be true]
    the one down side according to its supporters is that you might experience as small rise in engine temp and in rare cases this can lead to cracked clylinder heads[don't like the sound of that]
    would you risk it?
    what do you think?
    i'll try and keep an open mind.

Do a search on here for EGR mod. The ball bearing is an expensive way to do it, quick tie around the pipe works just as well. Lots of stuff on here about the pros and cons, really comes down to personal choice, don't see any reason why removing the egr will cause the head to crack as it is more about heat differential around the head than absolute temp.

Comment

I was one of the unlucky few, I did the mod and the elavated temperature cracked my cylinder head. Cost me £2000 for a recon engine as water was thrown into the turbo aswell and would have been more expensive to have the seperate bits done.

Make up your own mind.
      Ask yourself one question, Do I feel lucky??????????????/

Andy

Comment

There is also the point to remember that you may
        well have the EGR mod, so to speak, already. The
        diaphragm in a lot of these Surfs may be well shafted
        by now, (as I believe mine is, tried the mod, no diff),
        so you may not notice any difference even if you do
        try the mod.

Matt

Comment

My head cracked without the egr mod. Now I have no egr at all as it went wrong last year so Tony just took it out completely.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I've thought about it, but never done it. I like my surf just the way it came out of the box.
            Apart from the better tyres, front spot lights, better sound system, DVD player and a new head plus other engine parts.
            i like it muddy!

Comment

Working...
            X