Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help please!

hello everybody

i,m very new to forums and all things techie so be warned i may seem a bit thick at times[most of the time according to my other half]
    so here goes.. we,ve just aquired a toyota hilux surf 3L auto about a 95 plate and its got a loud noise coming from the front wheels when put on full lock.sometimes its a clunk other times more of a clang ocasionaly a clatter or combinations of.also when turning sparply on full lock on uneven ground the noise is acompanied by a judder you can feel through your feet in the foot wells.
    anyone got any clues to what it could be?
    is it going to be exspensive to put right.
    yours hopefully
    mark

it will cost you a blob of grease on your steering stops! thicker the better. welcome along, and dont go buying any ball bearings!!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Here you go.

Andy.
      Attached Files

Comment

ps... its the yellow circle and where it butts upto that you are looking at...

Comment

Doh , forgot that bit

Comment

no problemo...

that is what we are here for... you found the picture... that is most of the story...

Comment

apart from that,just check you arnt in 4 wheeldrive on tarmac
              Gaz

Comment

Lots of grease on the steering stops should do the trick. Mine have plastic caps over the bolt heads. Call Toyota and see if you can get some. The plastic heads just slide over the grease on the stops. Or, do what I do. Don't put it on full lock in the first place if you can help it. Just give it a shunt. The grease soon comes off if you keep hitting the stops.

Comment

Welcome Mark, It sounds worse than it is, Mine still does it on full right-hand lock and its got plastic caps on, Just annoying and it makes everyone look at you like you passed wind in a crouded lift, Ian
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

steering-stops to rear windows

hi all
                    re-steering stops
                    a big thankyou to all who answered my question so quickly and simply!
                    greaese is on and noise has gone.brillant!
                    but i have more.....so many more questions,can i be cheeky and ask another?
                    here goes...my rear electric tail gate window go's down a treat but gets abouts two thirds the way up and slows down to such an extent that you have to grip it with your hand to ease it up for about three or four inches the final two or three inches just fly up,its no problem most of the time except when its wet[i live in wales and its allways wet!]
                    the gent i bought the truck off assures me that he replaced the motor with a new one as he thought the old one was failing,but allas no improvement.
                    a friend of mine says i should try cleaning the rubber seals etc and applying some silicon grease.
                    what do you think?
                    any suggestions gratefully received.
                    mark.

Comment

Hi,
                      Take the rear tailgate down, remove the cover on the tailgate, flick the catch on the side of the tailgate to be able to get the glass to come out. Then use the key while that tailgate is down to bring out the glass but don't forget to support the glass. Then you should be able to get at the 3 fixing screws under the motor to unbolt it. Have a look for wear on the cog, if it's worn then that's your problem. Motors go for loads on ebay but if you go to a scr@pyard a rear side passenger door motor from a surf of corolla will fit perfectly. While the tailgate is open spray all the mechanism with WD40, then spray all the seals with silicone spray, Job's a good un !

Guess what I've been upto recently , worked a treat !!

Andy.

Comment

But before you take all the tailgate apart, I would try cleaning the rubber seal around the back window and give it a good spray of silicone lubricant (available from halfrauds for about three and a half quid). Remember to keep the seals around the window clean as they do tend to collect loads of muck. If all else fails, take the tailgate appart and lubricate the whole lot, but get someone to help cos I'm told it's quite easy to bust the glass if it falls out.
                        But most of all, Enjoy your Surf

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by mark young
                          hi all
                          re-steering stops
                          a big thankyou to all who answered my question so quickly and simply!
                          greaese is on and noise has gone.brillant!
                          but i have more.....so many more questions,can i be cheeky and ask another?
                          here goes...my rear electric tail gate window go's down a treat but gets abouts two thirds the way up and slows down to such an extent that you have to grip it with your hand to ease it up for about three or four inches the final two or three inches just fly up,its no problem most of the time except when its wet[i live in wales and its allways wet!]
                          the gent i bought the truck off assures me that he replaced the motor with a new one as he thought the old one was failing,but allas no improvement.
                          a friend of mine says i should try cleaning the rubber seals etc and applying some silicon grease.
                          what do you think?
                          any suggestions gratefully received.
                          mark.

Welcome Buddy you've just found the best Forum there is !!!!!
                          Best of all just keep
                          It's Infectious

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

cleaned mine the other day , much better
                            also took the wind deflector off the roof and cleaned under that , cleaned and greased the sunroof , glad i did it was a slimy green where the water stagnated between the deflector and sunroof
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

slow rear window

thanks for the tips,i've been to the shops and got a can of silicone lubricant and will have a go the next dry day we get.don't know if my limited machincal skills would stretch as far as completly striping down the assembly and removing the motor but i feel confident enough to remove the cover and clean out any dirt and dog/horse hairs that have no doubt worked there way in.so wish me luck and if you hear the sound of breaking glass followed by some industrial swearing you know what i,ve done.

Comment

Working...
                              X