Helppppppppppp Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helppppppppppp Please

(1 PAIN OF A SURF) To cut the story short this is third engine in 12 months & 250 miles later. now this one runs but the engine managment light stays on,the turbo light doesnt work, but the turbo spins fine,some smoke small amount,some breathing from breather hose, and lack of power on xl & top end this is my brothers car. ive had mine nearly 3 years and done over 50.000 mls its been fine touch wood.can anyone help thanks guys & girls

what engine/year is surf, 3 engines????????!!!!!!!!!! all fitted by same person i presume, was it just heads replaced? will need alot more details to get anywhere fella
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

3 engines

2.4 diesel turbo on a j plate he bourght the car of ebay it got home and next day wouldnt start head cracked rings broke that was No1. bought an engine had it fitted the liners were cracked that was No2. got this 1 it runs ok BUT it breaths slightly more than mine there is no power turbo light doesnt work now engine managment light stays on this is no3 its doing my head in becase i told him how great thay are

Comment

if you do a search in the 2.4/2.8 section for vacuum lines diagram, then check everythings been put back where it should be.

is it very smokey on start up, but then run ok until you try to give it wellie then smoke, if so turbo seals may be gone and oil being pumped into inlet housing.

if that sounds familiar, the easiest way to check it is to remove and clean oil (there will be a little there anyway) from the air filter to turbo hose (including that elbow which goes into turbo) and do the same for the turbo to inlet housing hose. then remove the breather that conects to the air filter/turbo hose (this is the rocker breather pipe and this is what dumps the oil into these hoses over a period of time) but don't block it off, run it into an old red bull can or similar for time being (you can do this as a permanent mod later if you wish with something a bit better than a can). by doing this you eliminate this oil from the equation. block the area where it used to connect on that air filter hose.

now put it back together and run the motor and get the turbo spinning.

then remove the turbo-inlet housing tube/hose and if its got more than just a spitting of oil (ie a stream of oil) then turbo seals gone.

thats how i realised mine was shagged.

try this and see from there what happens

Comment

oh and while your at it (actually do this first, it may save you the aggro) if it is the efi 2LT then you can do a self-diagnosis and it may give you the answer the easy way-sorry about that but forgot some of you have got this posh option!!!!

do a search in the 2.4/2.8 section, its explained very well with all the code listings in there, and by people who know the surfs like the back of their spanners.

BTW if you do have to get hands dirty give the turbine a spin with your finger (while motors turned off of course) it should spin with no resistance.

Comment

3 engines

thanks 4 help ill try this tomorror

Comment

Non-efi trucks can do the diagnostics as well. You can a reasonable amount of oil in the intake before it becomes a problem, but its not a great start if you've just put the engine in.

If the Turbo isn't noisy, it'll normally be OK, sounds more like a vacuum pipe or wiring issue. Without the turbo light, it'll have no power at all.

(I know this next bit doesn't help you, but I've been through the same thing with someone else. 2nd hand motors are a real gamble

Would have been cheaper to get a decent recon'ed motor fitted in the first place.

They are great cars, but do the job properly first time!!!)
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
              X