Help with noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with noise

Hi all have got a noise from the front wheel area drivers side. It sound like metal on metal and only hear it on bumps its not there all the time. The other
    thing is the truck pulls to the left guess this is the steering idler if so is it best to just replace the bushes or the whole unit. And one other thing after the trip to Salisbury I would like to fit some larger tyres than what I have now, are 31X 10.5 R15 the biggest I can get on a standard surf. Many thanks John

Originally posted by John McC
    Hi all have got a noise from the front wheel area drivers side. It sound like metal on metal and only hear it on bumps its not there all the time.
    It could be the anti roll-bar bushes need replacing.
    The other
    thing is the truck pulls to the left guess this is the steering idler if so is it best to just replace the bushes or the whole unit.

This could be the passenger side brake caliper sticking.

And one other thing after the trip to Salisbury I would like to fit some larger tyres than what I have now, are 31X 10.5 R15 the biggest I can get on a standard surf. Many thanks John
    Those are the biggest you can fit with out a body or suspension lift.

Comment

Just checked underneath and roll bar bushes feel ok but think I may of found it. The drivers side drive shaft has up and down play in it where as the pansenger side has none. Is this likey to be a big job as would need to get this done before thinking about the bigger tyres. As to the brake sticking I check later. Cheers John

Comment

Could be the bronze bush, or C/V joint. but most likely the bush.
        Do a search for bronze bush or C/V joint and all will be explained.

Comment

Yep guess thats it will have to pop it back up to TonyN for the work to be done. Cheers John....

Comment

Have you given it a good clean out after last weekend ....I had to Take off the tyres and give it a jet wash then lubricate where required this cured the noises i was getting
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

check the rubber "bump stop " which hangs down above bottom wishbone, give it a shake, thats what my rattle was while hitting bumps in road, and there are many around here !!!

carl......
              gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Could be the bronze bush, or C/V joint. but most likely the bush.
                Do a search for bronze bush or C/V joint and all will be explained.
                Thats what my noise was and it was a real burger to find out where it was comming from.
                If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                  Have you given it a good clean out after last weekend ....I had to Take off the tyres and give it a jet wash then lubricate where required this cured the noises i was getting
                  Had a lot of water on the old girl since getting back and think that most of the mud is now gone. Anyway had this noise a while its just that I wanted to sort it out now as sold old car so now have some funds to get it sorted. After reading up on the bushes and seeing how much play there is I'm sure this is it. Still if it's not to much still might have some spare funds for the 31" tyres
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X