Clear All

new design as far as i know mate
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by MarkDL
      I guess this may be a stupid question - but i'm going to ask it anyway

I presume the heads that come from ukcylinderheads or places like that are actually new rather than reconditioned old ones.
      As mine has just gone i thought i'd get the garage fixing it to source the new head from there as they seem to be pretty cheap at the moment.

Cheers
      Mark

Yes they are new redesigned heads, as in the waterways on the internal part of the head are not so near the valve guides as was the case with the ones that were recalled.
      If your getting a garage to get it make sure they get a NEW head and not a stitched/recon one. Make sure on your paper work it says NEW because if it ain't it will go again.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by MarkDL
        I guess this may be a stupid question - but i'm going to ask it anyway

I presume the heads that come from ukcylinderheads or places like that are actually new rather than reconditioned old ones.
        As mine has just gone i thought i'd get the garage fixing it to source the new head from there as they seem to be pretty cheap at the moment.

Cheers
        Mark
        ukcylinderheads have a deal on at the moment
        look under the special deal section 2.4 head £425.
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

Mine was on recall list

I checked the number range on the recall list and sure enough mine was in there. I am therefore assuming that the previous Japanese owners had the work done. Its covered 120,000 kms, and has had a fortune spent on it in terms of suspension and chassis mods etc so I figure that they would have had the head done.

I have been deliberately gunning it around in the hope that if it does blow I won't be too far from home. If it does go then I just take the view that for a grand I will have a new head and no worries, if it doesn't then I am having a laugh.

I should be off down through France sometime in the next couple of months and would rather it blew here than there!

One small thing, wouldn't Toyota keep records of which ones were done and which ones weren't? I am wondering how we could find out?

Regards

Rob G

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
            I checked the number range on the recall list and sure enough mine was in there. I am therefore assuming that the previous Japanese owners had the work done. Its covered 120,000 kms, and has had a fortune spent on it in terms of suspension and chassis mods etc so I figure that they would have had the head done.

I have been deliberately gunning it around in the hope that if it does blow I won't be too far from home. If it does go then I just take the view that for a grand I will have a new head and no worries, if it doesn't then I am having a laugh.

I should be off down through France sometime in the next couple of months and would rather it blew here than there!

One small thing, wouldn't Toyota keep records of which ones were done and which ones weren't? I am wondering how we could find out?

Regards

Rob G
            like KOI suggests a few posts up.
            i believe we can start to get Paranoid about watching our temp gauges.
            instead of enjoying our motors.
            so with that in mind i am doing that.
            BUT STILL KEEP FINGERS CROSSED hey
            Enjoying Life after Cancer
            Pops

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly

Regards

Rob G

I hope yours was taken in by the previous owner, I gunned mine around for a year before it went, don't want to put doubt in your mind but thats when mine went.

As for the records they may well do, but don't bother with Toyota UK find someone who can speak/write japanese and write directly to Toyota Japan. Toyota UK are as about much use as a wet paper bag, I contacted them about the recalls and the twit I spoke to just kept saying we dont sell them were Toyota UK. Search back through the Tech Mech section for the full dialogue its under post heading Head or similar.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Can anyone list the chassis numbers of the 2.4 Surfs with the dodgy heads then ?

I think it will save me a lot of grief !!!

Cheers !
                David

Comment

Originally posted by evodave
                  Can anyone list the chassis numbers of the 2.4 Surfs with the dodgy heads then ?

I think it will save me a lot of grief !!!

Cheers !
                  David
                  hi david,
                  the list has been posted on here before but it,s not definitive as people have surfs whose chassis nos. are not listed and the heads still gone

ship

Comment

I found the list but the Surf I have is showing symptoms of needing the head replaced but the chassis number is outwith the numbers listed. This is the second Surf I have had like this.

The weird thing is that they both drove very well with no problems and then they would just shoot up in temperature and throw the water out. Even after leaving my present Surf for two days and removing the cap the pressure was still high enough to to give me a soaking !!!

Maybe its time to get a 3.0 Surf ???

Comment

Originally posted by evodave
                      I found the list but the Surf I have is showing symptoms of needing the head replaced but the chassis number is outwith the numbers listed. This is the second Surf I have had like this.

The weird thing is that they both drove very well with no problems and then they would just shoot up in temperature and throw the water out. Even after leaving my present Surf for two days and removing the cap the pressure was still high enough to to give me a soaking !!!

Maybe its time to get a 3.0 Surf ???
                      Mine drove well even with the head gone - and I am pretty sure that it was cracked from when I got it - I drove it for a year before it was bad enough to overheat.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X