Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 heads

Are they realy that bad.

I'm about to become the proud new owner a nice red 2.4td manual, 1992 model.
    It's got a three month guarantee.

Is there anything I can do to check the head during this time.
    Any preventative maintenance ?

Anything.

Surely if it was that bad Toyota would have recalled them ?
    Is there a certain mileage that the head goes at ?

Any info gratefully recieved.

If you have not yet paid for it i would back out and look for a 3.0l one,when it goes it will cost at least £1000.00 to get repaired.

Regards
    Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by rob88.
      Are they realy that bad.

I'm about to become the proud new owner a nice red 2.4td manual, 1992 model.
      It's got a three month guarantee.

Is there anything I can do to check the head during this time.
      Any preventative maintenance ?

Anything.

Surely if it was that bad Toyota would have recalled them ?
      Is there a certain mileage that the head goes at ?

Any info gratefully recieved.
      If the head hasn't been replaced it is a good chance that it will be one of the badly designed ones. There was a local recal in Japan but it is not applicable here. You may find one that was done in which case it will have a modified head and you will have no problems. Best thing to do if you get it is to have the coolant system pressure tested in the 3 month warranty and make sure the warranty covers the head. I had mine a year before the head went and I did all the preventative measures like a flush etc however it still went - however I am pretty sure it was gone from the start.

Even with the head going I like my 2.4, the engine is strong enough and powerful enough for anything I want to do in it. The 2.4 is basically a very good engine design, they just got the head a little wrong (the metal between the waterways was not thick enough).

If you are getting it for a good price - i.e. a lot less than the equivilent 3.0 then I'd go for it but budget for a new head sometine in the future at around £1700 - £2000 fitted or £800 if you do it yourself.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        If the head hasn't been replaced it is a good chance that it will be one of the badly designed ones. There was a local recal in Japan but it is not applicable here. You may find one that was done in which case it will have a modified head and you will have no problems. Best thing to do if you get it is to have the coolant system pressure tested in the 3 month warranty and make sure the warranty covers the head. I had mine a year before the head went and I did all the preventative measures like a flush etc however it still went - however I am pretty sure it was gone from the start.

Even with the head going I like my 2.4, the engine is strong enough and powerful enough for anything I want to do in it. The 2.4 is basically a very good engine design, they just got the head a little wrong (the metal between the waterways was not thick enough).

If you are getting it for a good price - i.e. a lot less than the equivilent 3.0 then I'd go for it but budget for a new head sometine in the future at around £1700 - £2000 fitted or £800 if you do it yourself.

Cheers
        Lucky a mechanic down here who knows bit about surfs
        recons if the head is going to go it will be at 100,000 Kms. i ask as mine
        at 135,000 now DO I STILL HAVE TO KEEP PREYING or not?
        Last edited by popbriscoe; 29 December 2003, 14:04.
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

that price seems to be steep i'd put it at around £1000
          inc labour. as the price from uk cylinder heads includes cam valves etc
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky

that price seems to be steep i'd put it at around £1000
            inc labour. as the price from uk cylinder heads includes cam valves etc

Head...................... £595.00 + VAT
            Stretch bolts............£25.00 + VAT
            Head Gasket.............£20.00 + VAT
            Gasket set...............£20.00 + VAT
            Cam Belt..................£15.00 + VAT

Total.......................£6 75.00 + VAT

Roughly equates to £800 its quoted as an 11 hour job (if I recall correctly) as mechanics go, so that leaves £18.00 an hour labour for the other £200.00.
            The prices Andy has quoted are prices posted on here by other people who have paid this amount, they just get the garage to supply and fit everything.
            Yes if you buy it yourself and can find a garage under £30.00 an hour labour charges then it will be cheaper, or do it yourself.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
              Head...................... £595.00 + VAT
              Stretch bolts............£25.00 + VAT
              Head Gasket.............£20.00 + VAT
              Gasket set...............£20.00 + VAT
              Cam Belt..................£15.00 + VAT

Total.......................£6 75.00 + VAT

Roughly equates to £800 its quoted as an 11 hour job (if I recall correctly) as mechanics go, so that leaves £18.00 an hour labour for the other £200.00.
              The prices Andy has quoted are prices posted on here by other people who have paid this amount, they just get the garage to supply and fit everything.
              Yes if you buy it yourself and can find a garage under £30.00 an hour labour charges then it will be cheaper, or do it yourself.
              nice bit of info for my Surf folder koi thanks.
              1 thing who is the supplier of the above list?
              Pops

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe
                nice bit of info for my Surf folder koi thanks.
                1 thing who is the supplier of the above list?
                Koi and I got our heads from www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk

Cheers

Comment

Cheers
                  in your opinion do you think i still got cause to worry.
                  135000 Kms on the clock. had new rad fitted after 5weeks. but head was ok, and running fine since and now
                  Pops

Comment

Cheers
                    just looked on there they got offer on for 2.4 surf head
                    £425 not bad if someone needs one me thinks
                    Pops

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe
                      Lucky a mechanic down here who knows bit about surfs
                      recons if the head is going to go it will be at 100,000 Kms. i ask as mine
                      at 135,000 now DO I STILL HAVE TO KEEP PREYING or not?
                      He must have a crystal ball if he can tell you when your head will go. Ask him for this weeks Lotto numbers while you're there!!!!
                      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                        He must have a crystal ball if he can tell you when your head will go. Ask him for this weeks Lotto numbers while you're there!!!!
                        Pete
                        I'LL HAVE SOME OF THAT [just in case it does go]
                        no was only trying to find out from thr boys with the wealth of
                        THE KNOW if this mechanic down here was talking from his right end
                        Last edited by popbriscoe; 29 December 2003, 17:43.
                        Pops

Comment

Would like to be able to tell you don't worry but I honestly can't. I bought my Surf then found this place and ended up owning it.
                          I read all the stuff on the heads and drove around for a three months or so with one eye on the temp guage (which I now know ain't that accurate).
                          After five months gave up looking and thought I am OK, those that had gone seemed to go within a month or three of people owning them.
                          Mine went like Andy's (Lucky') on the year mark, so its all down to what I would say luck, you either bought a Surf with a good head or one that had been recalled and replaced with a new head.
                          I know this, its a 13year old motor and I ain't never owned a motor I liked so much. Yes the head went, but thats the luck of the draw tell you what though, if you walked in to a garage over here to buy a 13 year old motor that was made for our market you wouldn't even give them a second look. Rust buckets, no service history , no previous owner you would walk on by. The Surf, it aint got a service history but its that....... well you all own one and know what special something is about these motors.
                          So my best advice is drive and enjoy your Surf and should you be unfortunate enought that the head goes, you can replace with a new head (I know it costs but) and enjoy the motor for many years to come.
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                            Would like to be able to tell you don't worry but I honestly can't. I bought my Surf then found this place and ended up owning it.
                            I read all the stuff on the heads and drove around for a three months or so with one eye on the temp guage (which I now know ain't that accurate).
                            After five months gave up looking and thought I am OK, those that had gone seemed to go within a month or three of people owning them.
                            Mine went like Andy's (Lucky') on the year mark, so its all down to what I would say luck, you either bought a Surf with a good head or one that had been recalled and replaced with a new head.
                            I know this, its a 13year old motor and I ain't never owned a motor I liked so much. Yes the head went, but thats the luck of the draw tell you what though, if you walked in to a garage over here to buy a 13 year old motor that was made for our market you wouldn't even give them a second look. Rust buckets, no service history , no previous owner you would walk on by. The Surf, it aint got a service history but its that....... well you all own one and know what special something is about these motors.
                            So my best advice is drive and enjoy your Surf and should you be unfortunate enought that the head goes, you can replace with a new head (I know it costs but) and enjoy the motor for many years to come.
                            SOUNDS GOOD TO ME Koi. SURF ON DUDES
                            Pops

Comment

I guess this may be a stupid question - but i'm going to ask it anyway

I presume the heads that come from ukcylinderheads or places like that are actually new rather than reconditioned old ones.
                              As mine has just gone i thought i'd get the garage fixing it to source the new head from there as they seem to be pretty cheap at the moment.

Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X