Im new help me decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TJG
    If you want to have looks, style and charisma then opt for the 3rd gen, if you don't then obviously a 2nd gen is for you, or you could get a manky hilux pickup and put a truckman top on it, they look fairly much the same.

Seriously, a lot of them knock the 3rd gens here but I got one and love the look of it. It looks like it was designed rather than the droppings from the parts dept. The only thing I would go for is the underslung spare rather than boot mounted but then I do a lot of towing and it is a pain cos you cant hitch up with it in position, if you leave it open to reverse up to the trailer then unless you are coming from dead ahead or the nearside you will hit the trailer with it.

Don't even think about fuel consumption, if the cost of fuel might be a worry to you then you are looking at the wrong car. You will get no better than 25-28mpg if you drive it normally (I have never bothered to measure mine as I really don't care, thats a guess). The trouble is that turbo whine is addictive and the 3rd gen is no slouch in the traffic light grand prix.
    Hes spot on, dont worry about fuel consumption, I get about 28 mpg in town and have been getting 31 mpg on motorway. Make sure you have a top of the range synthetic oil, tyre presure should be 2 barand just enjoy the truck
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
      The only thing I would go for is the underslung spare rather than boot mounted but then I do a lot of towing and it is a pain cos you cant hitch up with it in position, if you leave it open to reverse up to the trailer then unless you are coming from dead ahead or the nearside you will hit the trailer with it.

The trouble is that turbo whine is addictive and the 3rd gen is no slouch in the traffic light grand prix.

I'm obviously doing something wrong then cos I have no trouble hitching up my caravan with the rear mounted spare in place ........

Spot on about the grand prix - I've surprised quite a few chavs and it's even better when I do it with the van on the back !

B*gger the fuel consumption - it's the grin that's important
      Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

I'm obviously doing something wrong then cos I have no trouble hitching up my caravan with the rear mounted spare in place ........

Spot on about the grand prix - I've surprised quite a few chavs and it's even better when I do it with the van on the back !

B*gger the fuel consumption - it's the grin that's important
        Then you probably don't have an AlKo type stabliser cos it sticks up a foot when open and there is no way it is going too fit under the wheel which is that close that until I stuck a 2" spacer on the tow hitch the handbrake on the 'van hit the wheel when reversing hard to the offside.
        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

errr - I HAVE got an Alko !

But take your point - it's an AKS1300 - I assume you've got a 2004 or 3004 ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

errr - I HAVE got an Alko !

But take your point - it's an AKS1300 - I assume you've got a 2004 or 3004 ?

I've no idea! I can't go and look cos van is away being serviced but I will have a quick surf to see what yours is like.
            Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Got to agree that the 3rd gen is the way to go.

I know some say that the seats aren't as good as the 2nd gen but I've just got back from Spain (in the smurf) and 1400 miles latrer, not a trace of back or leg ache - will do for me!

Some do say that the 3rd gen is a softer car than the 2nd but stick some extra lights on the front, a bull bar, roofcrate & some graphics on the side & they look like a mini landcruiser.

MPG - not bad considering 2 tonne truck, usually get high 20's solo & low 20's when towing the caravan (by the way the blue Winterhoff hitch doesn't foul my rear mounted spare at all & I've got no spacer blocks fitted)

Just buy it & grin

ta

hawaii
              I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

BIG Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, I've decided to wait until I move house (hopefully in the next few weeks) to Weston Super Mare. Looking forward after that to getting a 3rd gen in blue, or marron, or green... well any colour really!
                In the mean time I've struck a deal with the Ex. to split the driving so won't need to go to Hungerford so often (well... it was her that moved so she should do a bit of the driving shouldn't she!).
                So what have I got to do before I purchase said Surf? Buy a large vat to keep my used chip fat in, see if I can get double on the mortgage to pay for the rest of the diesel and see if I can drive it WsM beach (legally!)
                All I know is that I think I'm going to enjoy it.

All the best
                Ian
                511RFN

Comment

HAY BLOOD RED SURFS IS THE BEST 4X4 BY FAR
                  S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Working...
                  X