Im new help me decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im new help me decide

I am a newbie who is looking to buy his first "Surf", I have weighed up the pro's and con's in my own mind and think my best option is the 3.0l diesel mk3 version. My reason for buying a vehicle of this nature is that my ex. moved away with my son to just outside Hungerford, West Berkshire in the countryside thereabouts (I live in Bristol) and I want a car that will get me there to pick him up come rain, shine or snow drifts etc. that can carry all his gear inside without having to put the seats down, is a relaxed motorway cruiser which is still capable of taking on the worst country lanes if holiday motorway traffic forces a detour upon me (and also something that intimidates my Ex' partner )
    So I have questions in the main... should I be looking at some othere vehicle that is better suited to this purpose, and also, now that the news is going on about diesel prices, what sort of MPG am I going to return on a mixture of roads?
    Thanks in advance for the replies,
    Ian

Originally posted by 511RFN
    I am a newbie who is looking to buy his first "Surf", I have weighed up the pro's and con's in my own mind and think my best option is the 3.0l diesel mk3 version. My reason for buying a vehicle of this nature is that my ex. moved away with my son to just outside Hungerford, West Berkshire in the countryside thereabouts (I live in Bristol) and I want a car that will get me there to pick him up come rain, shine or snow drifts etc. that can carry all his gear inside without having to put the seats down, is a relaxed motorway cruiser which is still capable of taking on the worst country lanes if holiday motorway traffic forces a detour upon me (and also something that intimidates my Ex' partner )
    So I have questions in the main... should I be looking at some othere vehicle that is better suited to this purpose, and also, now that the news is going on about diesel prices, what sort of MPG am I going to return on a mixture of roads?
    Thanks in advance for the replies,
    Ian
    I have the third gen 3.ltrandi t is a wicked car, on the motorway I have been getting about 30mpg, which aint bad for a big truck. Went camping four of us and got everything in the boot with some room to spare. The truck is brilliant fun to drive. Get one you wont rgret it.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I think the surf sounds like it will meet your needs perfectly. the 2nd generation (mark 2) is a better looking, more intimadating truck and if you find a low milage in good nick will also save you a bit of money compaired to a 3rd gen. take the plunge and enjoy and welcome to the nuthouse.
      Ian

Comment

not too bad a run from bristol to hungerford... either A4 or M4 straight along (or a combination of both)

you'll get more boot room in a surf that a pajero/shogun but they're still not really much bigger than an estate car (probably compare with a vauxhall omega?)

if it's down to fuel cost then i wouldn't bother... this place is full of people moaning about fuel prices realistically you'll be looking at the top teens to 25mpg... possibly upto 30mpg down hill, but don't hold your breath!

watch out for pretentious "horsey types" in hungerford... it's full of them... easy to spot cos they're not colour co-ordinated, usually red cords and a green barbour jacket... lots of cravatts going on too!!... but beneath the "posh" look, it's a great place for a REAL fight... none of your townie $$$$!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

go for it 511 rfn i bet vyou wont be disappointed!!!
          try em out at a dealers then you will be able to benchmark them for a private buyer, dont rush in and buy the first you see theres some good ones out there
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Go on, be a devil. They're all good. Have a look at the sale section.

You get a lot of motor for your money so I reckon just decide how much you want to spend and buy the best one you can.

If you can afford it, I suppose avoid the 2.4 unless it's got the modified head or you're the gambling sort. At least they keep long journeys interesting, wondering whether you're going to get there.....

Comment

just make sure its claret over gunmetal...

much faster!!
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

green and mean

Comment

Green and mouldy!!

Comment

Blue & muddy are best
                    Someone esle lit the BLUE touchpaper but i'm still going to run
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      Green and mouldy!!
                      does that make me a fungi

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                        does that make me a fungi
                        Join the club
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Nah, you'll find them on Star trek.

Comment

After driving UK 4x4's for years thanks to the MOD and various shooting syndicates those $$$$$$ things were out of bounds and unworkable, I spent years looking at Jap stuff but most were too girly / bling / shiny almost X5 sicko, deffo NOT me!

HILUX, fresh air, full frontal new look on 4x4 with a real heater, suspension that works on the hills and the road and cheaper than a 30 year old Landrover "project"!..

Go for it, you wont regret the Surf but think on a 2nd gen 'cos apart from the sweet engine all the 3rd gen has to offer is the girly add on's of a fekin girly Landcroozer IE air bag, ABS, CIS and more fekin mirrors.

Ponder this....You can buy the benchmark 2nd gen for 2k now or youu can spend double on a wumminised 3rd gen. DOH!

Comment

Wht colour?

I do agree that the 3rd gen looks a little 'softer' but my critieria included the safety features such as airbags etc. So what colour is the most kick-@ss? black is too obvious, I think the blue/silver and that huge grill make you own the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X