EGR Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Valve

Blocked off my EGR last week 'A La Vince' with a cable tie. Have to say lots less smoke and it would appear a few more MPG. But I've been hearing that this mod can contribute to cylinder head problems. Anyone wish to comment? Recon I could buy a lot of derv for the price of a new head and all the smoke was behind me.

Cheers ;Spoggle

Re

Hi,

I would hazard guess that nearly everyone here has done the mod.

I have done it and it definately improved my smoke, general running and MPG.

I dare say that if there was any slight risk then the guys here would not do the mod and they would warn against it!

In my opinion, even the boffins at Toyota don't know as much about the Surf as these lot on this forum so if it's good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for me!

Hope this answers you!

Later!

Gary

Comment

I am now getting into my third year with the EGR blocked off and so far no probs.
      There was an argument both ways about the EGRs contribution to head cracking. One idea was that mixing hot gases gases into the inlet would cause uneven heating of the cylinder head, which could cause it to crack. You might just the thread with the search button.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett

In my opinion, even the boffins at Toyota don't know as much about the Surf as these lot on this forum so if it's good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for me!
        LOL, dunno about that!!!

It goes like this.....

The ERG reduces NOx emissions, NOx is created at high combustion temperatures that occur under heavy load. To lower combustion temps you introduce exhaust gas into the intake charge, this replaces some of the O2 with inert exhaust gas, so you get less bang, lower temps and less NOx levels, and as a side effect smoke under load.

So shutting it off naturally increases power, increases combustion temps and increases NOx emissions.

UK 3.0TD 4Runners don't come with a EGR valve fitted, so the engine can happily run with increased combustion temps to a degree.

The only thing no-one knows apart from Toyota is, on a EFI engine that is setup to run a EGR, how much different the fuel pump settings are from a non-EGR non-EFI UK truck.

To high combustion temps will produce pre-combustion, resulting in melted pistons and valves.

Lots other people have done it to their Surfs, and have been running it for years, so it seems to be fine. But thats as scientific as it gets.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          LOL, dunno about that!!!

To high combustion temps will produce pre-combustion, resulting in melted pistons and valves.

Lots other people have done it to their Surfs, and have been running it for years, so it seems to be fine. But thats as scientific as it gets.

Hmmmm - does anybody using the EGR mod tow heavy loads in hot temperatures ?

I'm also wondering what I can do about overheating when I'm towing the caravan fast up long hills (over 3000 revs) and I'd rather not compound the issue - although I'm obviously interested in improving my fuel efficiency and increasing the power !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

yes i have. havent had temp issues unless my rad has been muddy.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

Hmmmm - does anybody using the EGR mod tow heavy loads in hot temperatures ?

I'm also wondering what I can do about overheating

You could fit vents into the bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                yes i have. havent had temp issues unless my rad has been muddy.

We've only noticed the temperature when we've been towing the caravan (1300kg and loads of gear in the Surf) up LONG hills over 3000 revs - and even then only after running around on the Plain with Danno the other year - I thought I'd given the rad a good clean but I suppose it's worth another bash or would it be easier to get Tony to drop the rad and clean it properly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob
                  or would it be easier to get Tony to drop the rad and clean it properly ?

Sorry, can't give you an unbiased answer to that!!

The down side of the 3.0 trucks is mud can get stuck between the aircon rad and the main rad, and it hard to jet wash out without abusing the fins on the rads to much.

'praps we didn't fit a big enough AFT oil cooler! But it could just be mud.

Drop a lead light down behind the fan, and see if you can see light from the front of the car. Works best if you can get the fan shroud off though.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

you think you have it clean until you take the grille/bumper off. i spent half an hour cleaning mine with a low pressure hose and muck was coming out the entire time!
                    ive only ever had the temp go up doing the same thing, 3-3.5k revs over a huuuuuuge hill.
                    your motor should walk that with that van on
                    Attached Files
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Cheers guys,

I'm pretty sure the ATF cooler's OK - it was only fitted as a precaution prior to 3 weeks in the south of France last year.

Looks like I'm gonna have to find the time to rip the front off Jackie's truck before we go to the Loire at Whitsun - good job we haven't got a hosepipe ban in Andover yet !

Comment

Done the EGR Thinging

Hi All
                        I've been reading this thread with great interrest. So decided to do the 'MOD' today as I needed to fill her up. This will give me a good indication on MPG(17 at the mo) . First up a lot less black smoke and secondly seems to be purring mutch more to my liking.

Comment

Well nothings gone bang yet. Lot's less black smoke better MPG, havent worked out how much better yet cos I've just put bigger wheels and tyres on which may also make a difference, and yes the old girl sounds happy (the truck that is Not the wife). Cable tie is much cheeper that a ball bearing and I would think simpler to remove. However dont discount the ball bearing idea. Stick one in your right sock and you will notice an improvement in MPG. Cos it'll hurt like hell when you accelerate hard.

Cheers Guys: Spoggle

Comment

Also works for contraception, as it makes you limp!

Comment

Did the mod to my old 2.4 (now got 3.0), and it overheaded with a cracked head that same day. Could have been that is was on it's way out anyway and the mod just pushed it over the edge, who knows...

Comment

Working...
                              X