Efficiency on the motorway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah that must be it.
    id rather leave the lower ratio diff in and get bigger wheels!
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Surferjess
      Over the last week or so bi running up to N/Lincs & back twice in all, both times round trips 450 kms x 40 litres @ 65-75 mph = nearly 30ish.
      That's almost 32 mpg.

450kms = 279.5miles 279.5/40=6.988miles/litre, 6.988x4.55(litres/gallon)=31.8mpg

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceconcept
        That's almost 32 mpg.

450kms = 279.5miles 279.5/40=6.988miles/litre, 6.988x4.55(litres/gallon)=31.8mpg
        Spaceconcept Thanks for the info pal, bit to tecknickle for me to addup !!!!

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          That is what i have been trying to get across for a year since several people said that their 70 MPH was at 3000 RPM or more. The lockup is very noticable, especially if it locks when you are on the slip road getting up to motorway speed, when the revs suddenly die back. That is why, when I am about to join the motorway or I am about to overtake, I flick the overdrive off.

Phil, you're not alone, mines the same.

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
            Gearbox oil condition does have an effect on the revs for a given speed in any auto. Check condition of oil and level. If its ever been burned or seriously overheated it looses efficiency and so the engine will have to produce more revs to get to the same speed as a similar car with an auto box in tip top order.

Al.
            You might be right but I cooked my ATF on Dartmoor on the way to Cornwall with massive amounts of heavy engine breaking (didn't know that would be a problem!) Didn't get a chance to change it before driving back (didn't bother ) And got over 31 MPG on the return run. I zoned out at 55 mph behind a truck most of the way which would have helped but the needle didn't hit the half tank line getting from near Penzance to Bath. I think that's better than most people get with normal driving in normal cars so up yours 4x4 Nazis!
            PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Comment

dragging up an old thread.... my surf on the motorway tonight was pulling 3500rpm at 70mph!
              gearbox oil was flushed recently twice.

any ideas?
              Tim

Comment

Sounds like it's still slipping, and hasn't locked into top gear. Couldn't tell you why though.
                Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

still seems to go like normal and lock up as per usual though
                  Tim

Comment

i notice that if i put my foot down hard to overtake then mine will hit
                    3 1/2 before changing up and i thought it was just the way its meant to be i havent done the oil change yet tho
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                      i notice that if i put my foot down hard to overtake then mine will hit
                      3 1/2 before changing up and i thought it was just the way its meant to be i havent done the oil change yet tho
                      you still ain't done that

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                        you still ain't done that
                        no not yet i will try to get it sorted over the weekend tho....lol

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                          no not yet i will try to get it sorted over the weekend tho....lol
                          which one the one before the new year

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                            which one the one before the new year
                            see now thats the thing cause i never said which weekend tho

Comment

all i can say is I have had an auto and now got a manual and there is a big difference in the fuel economy the manual is doing around thirty
                              used about 1/4 of a tank coming back from preston to teeside (stockton-on-tees)

Comment

Working...
                              X