Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen.....HELP!!

Hi to Everyone,

I am a soon to be NEWBIE to the Surf community as I am shipping my Surf from Japan this month.

I am curious though, what are the major differences between the generations? I have what is known as a 2nd Gen, I think. I purchased a 1995 KZN130 and I was curious to know whether there was a consensus within the Surf World about which generation is better or what the actual differences are.

Did I choose incorrectly? Should I have purchased a different generation? Have I made a mistake?

I hope to hear some words of wisdom soon.....THANKS!!

John

P.S. One Important Point of Interest

Hi again,

I am specifically interested in the difference in driver room. I am 6'4" (1.93 Meters) and weigh 275 pounds (125 Kilos) and I need a comfortable car......any thoughts from anybody.......THANKS!!!

Comment

as long as it claret over gunmetal, you bought the right car.. those blue ones are for short arses and girls
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

did u not drive one at your local stealers before you bought one??
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by skylacker
          Hi to Everyone,

I am a soon to be NEWBIE to the Surf community as I am shipping my Surf from Japan this month.

I am curious though, what are the major differences between the generations? I have what is known as a 2nd Gen, I think. I purchased a 1995 KZN130 and I was curious to know whether there was a consensus within the Surf World about which generation is better or what the actual differences are.

Did I choose incorrectly? Should I have purchased a different generation? Have I made a mistake?

I hope to hear some words of wisdom soon.....THANKS!!

John

Here you go....

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/history.htm

p.s. I'm 6'2" and it's comfortable enough for me.

Comment

Thanks A Lot

HEY GUYS,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I really do appreciate your help and information.

Cheers!!

Comment

Depends on what you're using it for...

Hi

Couldn't help but answer your question as another Hilux Newbie

I drove a Hilux twin cab pick-up in Africa for 6 months last year, so when I got home I thought I'd get something similar

I didn't know the difference between 2nd or 3rd generation when I was testing various Surfs a few weeks ago.

All the ones I drove intially turned out to be 2nd gen and drove pretty much like the truck in Africa. Then I ended up driving a 3rd gen and the owner explained the difference... the rolloing gear and chassis is the same as the Landcruiser Colorado... it drives much more like a big solid car, but not too much like a car (ie. not like a soft roader, or an M-class Merc which I once had)

Depends on what you want to do with it, but I use mine off-road in fields, on a farm and for fishing, that sort of 'softy' stuff. If you really want to do serious sports off-roading the 2nd gen will be fine, because you don't want to spend twice the price for a 3rd gen only to give it serious abuse.

If, like me, you want a useful multipurpose vehicle for chucking all sorts of stuff into, that drives in a civilised way and you only really go off-road 10/20% of the time I'd sell it and get a 3rd gen. But buy private because you'll pay a couple of grand more, at least, from a dealer. (Goes without saying I suppose.)

This is just my experience recently - hope it helps... I guess the best thing is to try a 3rd gen and see the difference.

Good luck

Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X