Broke down , again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke down , again

My newly repaired Runner broke down again today , same prob as last time ... the carb . . I was on the way to my mates workshop to give the newly fitted engine a tune up as I only static timed the ignition and wanted to check the CO on the (supposed) rebuiltish carb .
    I have spent most of the day taking the carb apart and then putting it back together after fixing another knackered bit .
    I want to fit a Weber , I got 2 to try . Need to get a convertor made up for the manifold .
    At least in broke down 3 miles from home and not at Bures like last time.
    May still try Salisbury next week , I now got AA relay .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Float needle sticking?

Comment

No Vince , it is fine . All tested and seating and releasing OK .
      It seems to found a liking for distroying rubber seals and diaphrams.
      It is all 20 years old so I got to expect a few probs , but not the day before a play day (Bures).

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        My newly repaired Runner broke down again today , same prob as last time ... the carb . . I was on the way to my mates workshop to give the newly fitted engine a tune up as I only static timed the ignition and wanted to check the CO on the (supposed) rebuiltish carb .
        I have spent most of the day taking the carb apart and then putting it back together after fixing another knackered bit .
        I want to fit a Weber , I got 2 to try . Need to get a convertor made up for the manifold .At least in broke down 3 miles from home and not at Bures like last time.
        May still try Salisbury next week , I now got AA relay .
        draw a diagram of wot you need and you never know some one might be able to help???
        thinking happy thoughts at your motor m8y lets get the old girl sorted.
        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Hey Rick is this any good for you?????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-hilux-3...QQcmdZViewItem
          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Poor Rick, its funny, we got home last night after a 600km round trip in mine towing a trailer full of furniture saying what a great truck it is for a 84' and its heroic little 2.0 petrol motor that gets the nuts screamed of it to get anywhere all the time!!
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Rick

Is this the conversion plate that you need. http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/maf1pieceweberadapter.htm

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                Rick

Is this the conversion plate that you need. http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/maf1pieceweberadapter.htm
                Could well be Andy . Thanks for finding that for me . I hope Jon can get his mate to fab one up for me as that one looks or similar . We spoke today about it .
                It may be worth buying that knackered 3Y and taking the Weber and plate off and dumping the engine .

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  No Vince , it is fine . All tested and seating and releasing OK .
                  It seems to found a liking for distroying rubber seals and diaphrams.
                  It is all 20 years old so I got to expect a few probs , but not the day before a play day (Bures).
                  My old Celica used to have a dodgy carb (twin carb engine). Used to stop on me occasionally, hit it with a screwdriver, worked fine again for a couple of days. Dirt in one of the jets even though I stripped it down a couple of times. Seems the petrol tank was falling apart with rust and the standard fuel filter might as well have not been there. Fitted an inline filter and all the problems wwnt away.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    My old Celica used to have a dodgy carb (twin carb engine). Used to stop on me occasionally, hit it with a screwdriver, worked fine again for a couple of days. Dirt in one of the jets even though I stripped it down a couple of times. Seems the petrol tank was falling apart with rust and the standard fuel filter might as well have not been there. Fitted an inline filter and all the problems wwnt away.
                    I fitted a new filter and nothing is blocking it or being filtered by it that could have been blocking jets . It is just a case of old age .The rubber seals and diaphrams are falling apart .
                    I should be use to this as all my vehicles I own are over 20 years old . The 2 4Runners being the youngest . Tam's Herald and my Lotus Elan are both 38 years old .

Comment

I will be having a mooch around the Luton s c r a p yards tomorrow. I'll see what I can find. A 3.5L V8 would be nice...............and easy to get sprares for.

On a more serious note. Do you know which Weber might do? I was thinking about making up a hybrid Toyota/Weber inlet manifold.

Is there an SU carb that is big enough? If so, there is an adapter that you can make out of a flanged stainless steel pipe bend. I'll have a look on my All Stainless CD ROM Catalogue.
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                        I will be having a mooch around the Luton s c r a p yards tomorrow. I'll see what I can find. A 3.5L V8 would be nice...............and easy to get sprares for.

On a more serious note. Do you know which Weber might do? I was thinking about making up a hybrid Toyota/Weber inlet manifold.

Is there an SU carb that is big enough? If so, there is an adapter that you can make out of a flanged stainless steel pipe bend. I'll have a look on my All Stainless CD ROM Catalogue.
                        Phil , I have got the Weber plus a spare one . Jon has said he will see if his mate can cut one on his machine from a block of alloy . .
                        Will have to wait till after Salisbury .

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

Twin 1 3/4 SU carbs do nicely on the Toyota engines - certainly better than the strombergs. Problem with the webbers is fuel starvation off road, SUs are better for this. However a couple of downdraft webbers would be nice 48 IDAs through a hole in the bonnet with nice chrome trumpets for the bling effect - they would be better off road than the sidedrafts as they aren't so afflicted with starvation as the sidedraft ones - mind you a bit of a problem if you go through deep water.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                            Twin 1 3/4 SU carbs do nicely on the Toyota engines - certainly better than the strombergs. Problem with the webbers is fuel starvation off road, SUs are better for this. However a couple of downdraft webbers would be nice 48 IDAs through a hole in the bonnet with nice chrome trumpets for the bling effect - they would be better off road than the sidedrafts as they aren't so afflicted with starvation as the sidedraft ones - mind you a bit of a problem if you go through deep water.
                            Blimey Andy , its only a little bit of offroad I do in the Runner . The Zook is for more fun ! All I want is a reliable carb and the Weber 32/36 downdraught is the recommendation , but as the kits are still not available I need to do my own kit .
                            In an ideal world I would drop a nice V8 in but time and facilitys at the mo stop me .

Comment

I haven't looked back since I put a HIF44 SU on the Zook. It doesn't flood going over bumps, up or down steep hills like the Aisin twin choke did. They are dead simple to set up once you have the right needle and give a bit more torque at low revs. The only problem now is that I can also redline it all too easily.
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X