the vibe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the vibe...

Aaaaargh, truck still has a vibration I've read a few threads on here where people have had virtually the same experience as I have, the truck develops a vibration at around 50+mph like the whole things shaking. Just had the tyres balanced today and still isn't cured, though seems to drive nicer at low speeds and the guy said they were out, even though he was the one who balanced them in the first place.

The wierd thing is, it doesn't develop until the truck has warmed up - like something is heating up and causing it. I basically have this list from the other threads to work through:

steering bushes
    Driveshafts
    wheel bearings
    track rods ends
    ball joints
    idler arm bushes
    pitman arm
    tracking
    UJ

I suspect a bearing at it seem to pull to the left every now and again when the vibration gets really bad. Anyone got any further suggestions? I'm particularly curious cos it only starts when it's been running for a while.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

id say bearings possibly?
    i did have a really weird thing happen to me though going over the severn bridge on quite a long journey and the truck started shaking like mad all the pedals were shaking too. it was on my way to go on hols so carried on and everynow and then it would do it and scare me but then it went away and was very intermittent after.
    my mechanic suggested bearings which i had done but he said old ones looked ok so i thought it was a waste of time but its never done it since!

i had another shaking once at speed and read on here which suggested a UJ. sent it in with a new UJ and came back perfect.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Tony checked the UJ's for me and they seemed ok, I also checked them for play etc and there was nothing - but it's probably worth a try. It's so bizzare that it only happens after a certain amount of time running hot. Thanks mate

Comment

when i had this prob it was prop uj but as you say DR tony checked um and i would trust him so its elsewhere
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

Have the UJ's been changed since you had it? The shaft could have been put together in a different way and might need balencing.

It could be that one of the tyres has a flaw, and the tread is delaminating when it gets hot.

You need to borrow a set of tyres off someone and give it a try.

How did the calipers look?
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Have the UJ's been changed since you had it? The shaft could have been put together in a different way and might need balencing.

It could be that one of the tyres has a flaw, and the tread is delaminating when it gets hot.

You need to borrow a set of tyres off someone and give it a try.

How did the calipers look?
            The calipers looked fine apparently and are not seized, they also checked the discs and pads and said they look fine. They balanced all the tyres and swopped them round but still got the problem after a 20 minute run last night.

The UJ's haven't been changed since I got it and I think I will try changing them as I understand it's pretty cheap to do so and can do no harm.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to borrow some tyres and try that route...

Comment

Had the shakes on mine ...UJ looked kinda ok but changed it anyway as a cheap and simple job....shake gone

Comment

I just rang the garage to ask what else they checked cos Lottie actually took the truck in so I was going off her "err I think he said that" explantions! Turns out they only balanced the front wheels (and checked the brakes)... when I explained the type of vibration he reckoned straight away the rears will be to blame, either balancing or defect in the tyre as it gets warm. It's going back in tomorrow for the rears to be balanced and then he is going to sit in on the road test with me.

If that fails I will change the UJ(s) as that's my next suspect!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
                  I just rang the garage to ask what else they checked cos Lottie actually took the truck in so I was going off her "err I think he said that" explantions!
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

And what is wrong with the "err I think that's what he said" explanation???

I'm with you on that one Mrs Snoop! You 2 still coming next weekend?
                    Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
                      It's going back in tomorrow for the rears to be balanced and then he is going to sit in on the road test with me.

If that fails I will change the UJ(s) as that's my next suspect!
                      If they haven't been checked already, see if either of the rear drum brakes are dragging while you're there. Over 50/60mph it'll overheat and cause massive amounts of vibration through the whole car. I've had it twice, last time was a couple of weeks ago, after a garage had done some work and set one of the brakes up too tight.

Comment

well the latest is the garage have ruled out the tyres are to blame... they reckon something to do with the drivetrain. It's taking less time to start vibrating now, only a couple of minutes before the shakes start although she's loaded up with a heavy old engine in the back at the moment which may be making things worse. I'm going to try the UJ replacement this week to see if that solves it.

Debs - we'll be there if the UJ replacement solves it.

The "Err, I think that's what he said" explanation is fine if the problem is solved but if you are trying to tick things off a list, it makes things a bit hard... "yes I think they checked that... or did they? Yes, yes they definately did... I think... best ring them" LOL

Comment

Lol, fingers crossed then you get SDV back on the road. Be nice to see you and Lottie again
                          Debs

Comment

Working...
                          X